Burning Fat realy fast

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

Burning Fat realy fast

Post by CoreAlex » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:58 am

alright guys october 30 is aproaching and i got all of september and october to burn a lot of fat. my question is i wanna go down about 4 pounds of body fat per week. is this healthy? and also can u guys post up realy hard exercises that can burn a lot of fat? or fat burning exercises in general. thank you in advance!

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:50 pm

You can do it. Do this program: http://www.afterburntraining.com/index2.html

The cost is $60. Do everything it says. If you are in a hurry (it's a 12 week program) do the last 8 weeks. Basically, you lift heavy and eat the minimum to maintain your metabolism. You can do the same with other programs, like the velocity diet, but they require a truckload of supplements.

You can also look for E-books by Lyle MacDonald, Leigh Peele and Tom Venuto or get Precision Nutrition by John Benardi.

Or if you're not in a hurry, start eating according to the paleo diet. Unlimited lean meats, fruits and veg, moderate nuts, healthy oil. No Dairy, grains, Starchy veg or legumes. Different people do better or worse with frequent meals or with fasting occasionally. Google "Intermittent Fasting".

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:56 pm

You can do it. Do this program: http://www.afterburntraining.com/index2.html

The cost is $60. Do everything it says. If you are in a hurry (it's a 12 week program) do the last 8 weeks. Basically, you lift heavy and eat the minimum to maintain your metabolism. You can do the same with other programs, like the velocity diet, but they require a truckload of supplements.
Are you being serious?
my question is i wanna go down about 4 pounds of body fat per week.
That is unreasonable and unhealthy expect more like 2 lbs per week or less once you get lower bf %.

Look to HIIT and big lifts to burn the most fat.

Read diet stickies for information on how to do it corrrectly.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 pm

HIIT and 500 cals below maintainence, like what ironmaiden said. Adjust as you go when you plateau. If you want to properly meet your weight loss goals, plan further in advance, or eat properly year round.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:58 am

4lb/wk is unhealthy, unrealistic, and unlikely to result in sustained loss, and likely to result in muscle loss. HIIT has been shown to be more effective for fat loss than LSC, but otherwise, there are no "fat-burning exercises". Just exercises.

Why would you ever want to lose that fast?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:38 am

While I agree that a sustained 4 lb fat loss per week is unrealistic and unhealthy, Cosgrove does NOT recommend the long slow type cardio, but a mixture of HIIT, weight training designed to speed up the metabolism (i.e very short rest periods) and complexes and hybrids. I have seen the major part's of his afterburn program, and it is better than most. Read the thing before you knock it.
Tim

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:18 pm

I've seen people do it, you just have to be extremely precise with your nutrition and training. I couldn't coach someone to achieve that goal but it's theoretically possible to lose close to 20 lbs of fat in a month without losing muscle. It's unlikely that someone doing it on there own would be successful though. The key feature of this type of training is to maintain your heavy lifting. That is what encourages the muscle retention. High reps, lower weight and and long slow cardio will cost you muscle. You need to eat enough to ensure you have the energy for the workouts and still be in a deficit the rest of the time.

Alwyn Cosgrove claims that his trainees don't lose muscle and he bases that on the fact that they can lift the same amount of weight after as before. To me, that means they have as much fucntional strength which probably means they has as much functional muscle. Is a person has a lot of non-functional muscle (most body builders) they probably will lose it on this type of program.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:10 pm

stuward wrote:I've seen people do it....
Do it, and sustain it? Most people who just want to lose fat fast will do it with by making unwise, non-sustainable changes in their eating and diet. And the OP didn't say anything about maintaining muscle, just that he wants to lose 20 pounds by whenever. I would never encourage anyone to try that.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:58 am

I see people who lose 4lbs a week all the time. And within 4 months they're back to where they started.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:41 am

Jungledoc wrote:
stuward wrote:I've seen people do it....
Do it, and sustain it? Most people who just want to lose fat fast will do it with by making unwise, non-sustainable changes in their eating and diet. And the OP didn't say anything about maintaining muscle, just that he wants to lose 20 pounds by whenever. I would never encourage anyone to try that.
I agree, the OP hasn't come back to talk about his motivation and that's key. I assume he's an athlete needing to make weight for a sport by a particular date. Therefore my response was essentially "it can be done, here's how". Since it looks like he needs to lose about 30 lbs, I assumed he was coming off a bulk. I didn't say it should be done. I agree that more likely he's an overweight guy trying to look better for a wedding or something. We need the OP to come back and give reasons for the cut.

ds4bz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ds4bz » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Yeah, I've experienced losing the weight fast like that twice now and both times the weight has come back on either a year or two later or a couple months later. Depending on the person though the metabolism can be boosted a lot or not at all. I would eat and then workout right away after and go very very intense for a good 30 mins to 1 hr. I'm no expert like some of you others but I dropped close to 50 pounds in 3-4 months. Then another 20 pounds in about a month and a half. Regret every second of it too.

Also instead of posting another thread. Is it possible to acquire a very small lean look while not being at a low weight. For instance I have 160 lbs set in my mind as the ideal weight for me but I've been told for my build it would just look unhealthy. Similarly guys my height and build right now are around 175-180 and look great. I'm at a solid 190 and I feel that 10 pounds would still make me look fat, I'm assuming its just a matter of bf%?

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Also instead of posting another thread. Is it possible to acquire a very small lean look while not being at a low weight.
Yes but it will take building lots of muscle. Jay Cutler has 3% bf during comp. @ somewhere around 280 lbs, 5' 9".
For instance I have 160 lbs set in my mind as the ideal weight for me but I've been told for my build it would just look unhealthy.
And you're listening to them why?

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 am

any tips on lower body fat % without losing muscle?

kinda late to the topic sorry :(

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:30 am

lightningsix wrote:any tips on lower body fat % without losing muscle?

kinda late to the topic sorry :(
Keep lifting heavy throughout your cut. That will encourage your muscle to stay around. If you start losing energy and can't keep your lifts up to the same level, eat more and accept a slower cut.

Many start using lower weight and higher reps along with increased cardio. I think this is counter productive. Maybe that's just because I don't like cardio.

I like this topic and would like to hear what's worked for others.

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:43 am

Well, what's worked for me is a mixture of complexes, supersets or weight workouts of a similar nature (see the stick on KB DB complexes for fat loss and conditioning) combined with what Stu mentioned. You will need to keep some heavier strength work tossed in to the mix for the reasons Stu cited. I'm leaving diet out of the reply, assuming you already have that dialed in.
Tim