Burning Fat realy fast

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:54 am

Well, I'm on my 4th week of cut after my bulk. So far i'm losing just under 2 pounds a week (average). In 4 weeks i've lost 7 pounds.

I'm losing the weight by cutting two meals out of my diet. I was eating 6 times a day, so now i'm eating 4 times.
This works out at about 600-700 calories less than I was eating. I'm keeping the protein up, 1 gram per pound of estimated lean body weight per day. Fish oil cap with my breakfast, plus zinc and Vitamin C at night.

I have to be careful not to lose muscle. I'm very good at losing weight, I just have to think about it and it starts to go.
So far I haven't lost any strength, in fact, i'm still getting stronger. Lifing just the same 4 times a week. Just started to use a caffeine stimulant on lifting day's as an experiment. Works well so far.

No cardio at the mo, that will change soon as soon as I see a platau in weight loss, but seems unnecessary at the mo.

Abs are starting to show, plus definition in chest and shoulders. So far it's all good!

tyler

Post by tyler » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:34 pm

There have been two points in my life where I have lost a significant amount of weight. When I was a sophmore in high school, I lost around 50 lbs. I did that by eating a decent breakfast, small lunch and small dinner. For exercise, it was mostly cardio and calistenics. The second time was when I was around 22, and I lost around 40-45 lbs. That time I did it by eating a big breakfast, big lunch, and no dinner. I also lifted weights and no cardio. So, I honestly believe exercise is not nearly as important as your diet, as far as losing the weight goes. Hell, a friend of mine lost around 80 lbs, doing no exercise whatsoever, just didn't eat. But I have a hard time keeping it off- I can keep off weight as long as I stay busy and active throughout the day, and not just exercise but also random things throughout the day. If I don't have anything to do, I have to exercise way too much because I tend to eat when I'm bored and unoccupied. So lately I've been going back and forth around 180-185 the past couple months, but I'm gonna try to get down to 170-175. And drinking REALLY adds on the weight (along with chicken wings :green: )

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:34 pm

Well I know from a lot and lot of reading that in order to lose BF% and keep your muscle you have to include heavy lifting. Which is something I am doing.

I'm just not sure as to the best method of losing BF% without dropping a drastic amount of weight. I've worked really hard to gain the weight and muscle I now have, I don't want to lose it, I just want to trim the fat and make the muscles really show.

tyler

Post by tyler » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:45 pm

lightningsix wrote:Well I know from a lot and lot of reading that in order to lose BF% and keep your muscle you have to include heavy lifting. Which is something I am doing.

I'm just not sure as to the best method of losing BF% without dropping a drastic amount of weight. I've worked really hard to gain the weight and muscle I now have, I don't want to lose it, I just want to trim the fat and make the muscles really show.
I think muscle loss is inevitable. Well...not always...but unless you have really good genes it is. I didn't seem to lose much strength when I was heavy lifting to lose weight...but I'm not sure about muscle. The thing is with the loss of fat, your muscles will look ALOT bigger...even if they get smaller.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Tyler wrote
I think muscle loss is inevitable. Well...not always...but unless you have really good genes it is. I didn't seem to lose much strength when I was heavy lifting to lose weight...but I'm not sure about muscle. The thing is with the loss of fat, your muscles will look ALOT bigger...even if they get smaller.
End quote

He just hit the nail on the head. I did a major cut back in 97, after I got about 20 lbs too heavy. My arms weren't big, but good sixed. After I dropped 20 lbs or so, and got fairly cut, everyone was commenting on my arm size. I was 5 FT 8 In at 170, arms maybe 15 and one half (fairly small) but they LOOKED large in perportion to everthing else.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:25 am

There is a way to not lose muscle. Eat lots of protein, lift very heavy weights. The weights keep your strength up, which allows you to lift enough to keep the muscle while dieting provided your protein intake is very high.

It's worked for me and my genetics are kinda crappy.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:11 am

If you don't have much fat to lose, I have a suggestion.

First, though, this is the kind of thing I do when my abs disappear - to the extent that I 'sort of' have abs, if the lighting is good. I just do it for 4 weeks, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't really work, but the following has been the best.

I normally lift 4 times per week - 2 lower body, 2 upper body. Strength is priority.

Training - What I do is stick with what I normally do for the first lower and first upper body day. The other days I do Charles Staleys EDT training (Escalating Denstity Training - a volume based approach - more work in less time). On the days that I keep training as normal, I lower weight and decrease rest on the assistance exercises, which will make the workouts slightly more metabolocally challenging. The first 1-2 exercises are the strength exercises, so after this, it's mostly all assitance. Being strict with rest and keeping it short is a shock to my system, since I don't pay much attention to it normally.

So, 2 days are made slightly more metabolically challenging, and 2 days are a lot more metabolically challenging. This results in more calories being burned than usual. Since my diet is pretty consistent anyway, this would probably be enough on it's own. But I do change diet.

Diet - As i said, my diet is quite consistent and clean. Fat gain is very gradual. All I do is cut out all 'heavy' carbs (potatos, rice, pasta, oats bread) and only have these after a work out. I replace them with Veg as my main carb source. All other meals are just protein and veg. I make a consious effort to try and eat mroe protein than usual but thats it. I just change carb 'source' really which in itself, will result in a reduction in calorie intake. Coupled with the increased calories expenditure, you create a decent deficit. 2 days per week have heavy stuff in and around 90% 1RM to maintain strength and muscle mass...

This is like being on a fat loss plan without feeling like your on a fat loss plan. However, if you have a lot of fat to lose, or you want to get REALLY cut then I would look at a much more refined program.

I'm a big fan of complexes as Tim suggested and I would base training around that concept. Alwyn Cosgrove has some good stuff you could try straight away.

With regards to losing strength or mass - Don't let this worry you too much, just do what you can. I've had enough injuries to know that lost strength and mass come back VERY fast.

KPj

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:02 pm

KPj wrote:With regards to losing strength or mass - Don't let this worry you too much, just do what you can. I've had enough injuries to know that lost strength and mass come back VERY fast.
Absolutley spot on! This had to be said. Losing muscle mass for those that have spent so much effort in trying to gain it, puts a lot of people off even trying to lose the fat!

Unless you're about to prepare for a comp, just go for it and see what happens.

This will be my first cut, but not my last. It will probably be a cycle of bulk then cut, bulk, cut. etc..etc..

As the fat comes off, expect the tape measure to show decreases in all diameters. Not because your muscles are shrinking, but because the fat in them and around them is dissapearing.

As long as you can still push the same bench press, or squat the same weight, everything should turn out okay. Just make sure you have enough carbs before your lifting to be sure it's not a lack of energy.

If it starts to slip away, just eat a little more...re-evaluate and try again.