Protein shakes before and/or after workout

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Do you use protein (with or without other ingredients) shakes before and/or after workout?

I usually drink a shake before my work-out.
9%
I usually drink a shake after my work-out.
55%
I usually drink a shake before and after my work-out.
32%
I don't use protein shakes
5%

Total votes: 22

Jungledoc

Protein shakes before and/or after workout

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:17 am

I'm curious about how many of the guys here actually use protein shakes, and what is your recipe? Commercially-prepared product? Which one? Straight protein powder? In water or milk? Other ingredients? Do you use the same thing both before and after workout? How about during the W/O?

Me? I have usually not had any protein powder, and it's not available in the country where I live. I used to try to have a little snack an hour or so before W/O, usually some peanuts, sometimes a banana. But my work is unpredictable, so I never can control how long it will be until I get to the gym. After W/O, I'd go home, where supper was usually waiting.

Now I have some whey powder; I bought 2 6-lb bags at Sam's Club when in the US on my recent vacation (the chocolate isn't bad, I haven't tried the vanilla yet). I'm mixing one scoop in about 8 oz. reduced-fat milk, and drinking it about 10 minutes before I start working out. Now I won't be eating supper as directly after my W/O, as my wife is working out with me, instead of being at home cooking. So we go home and cook together, which means supper is a little later. I haven't started using a shake after W/O, as my supply is limited, and I don't have much chance to get more.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:33 am

i'll alway's eat a small to medium meal an hour before Workout, then have my shake immediately after Workout.

Shake is one scoop Body Supreme Whey isolate (strawberry) with 200ml full fat milk. Yum!

I'll then have a high protein meal or snack 3 hours later.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Whats the difference between the first and last one?

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Ironmaiden wrote:Whats the difference between the first and last one?
? None, all meals are approx the same in %P, C and F

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm not referring to you..... I'm referring to Jungledoc's poll.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:37 pm

I drink one before, and one after.

Before: 27g/protein scoop of ON 100% Whey Protein and water an hour before my workout.

After: 27g/protein scoop of ON 100% Whey Protein, one scoop of Muscle Milk (16g/protein + lots of vitamins and some fat and a few carbs) + some fruit (usually one of an apple, a banana, a peach, or something like that, plus some times a plum as well).

I'm a little lost on your question, Andy. Ultimately, do you want to know what we drink, or do you want suggestions on what you can mix together there in PNG? If you've already returned, all my helpful hints on stuff to bring back to mix in won't be very useful...

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:39 pm

:lol: I didn't spot that! Explains why I scratched my head for a minute.

I did wonder what a 'shate' was thou :roll:

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:35 pm

If I get the chance to eat something good before I do, but if I don't, I don't. Work/family/school doesn't always allow me to eat just right. I do drink creatine before my my workout though. (I know, I know should be after… Call it placebo effect…)

I only drink my shake after a workout, or if I absolutely have no meat in the house, and it's too late to go to the store to supplement a meal. (God tuna and PB can get old.)

I mix the cheapest stuff GNC had that was just Whey (I know I know, SO much cheaper online) with soy milk. (Me and cow milk do not get along, and the rest of the world knows about it too, can eat cheese thou.) Has to be vanilla.

I use one scoop if I ate properly that day, two if I need calories.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:48 am

I'm 'before and after'. the PW shake has carbs in it, too.

The 'before' is a big shake. I drink half when i'm on my way to the gym, and I sip away at the rest throughout the work out. The meal before the work out is just meat and veg, whatever way I feel like preparing it.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:43 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:Whats the difference between the first and last one?
Ummm...

Well... it's a...it's a test. Yeah, that's what it is, a test. To see who is a careful reader. You win.

Actually, it's just that I'm an old man, and I can't remember what I said (or wrote) 5 minutes after I say it.

Can I edit a poll after it's started?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:53 am

pdellorto wrote:Ultimately, do you want to know what we drink, or do you want suggestions on what you can mix together there in PNG? If you've already returned, all my helpful hints on stuff to bring back to mix in won't be very useful...
Both. I've seen so many different comments about this that I realized that there isn't a simple right answer that everyone subscribes to. So I thought it would be interesting to get everyone to spell out what they do.

I know that I'm probably not going to mix up anything any more complicated than what I'm doing now. If I had come back from the store with one more package of something to include in the luggage, my pre-workout nutrition would not have been my most pressing health and wellness issue. You should have heard my wife's reaction when I wanted to bring some weights!

Out of curiosity, what would you have suggested if I had posted this before we came home?

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:48 am

Actually, it's just that I'm an old man, and I can't remember what I said (or wrote) 5 minutes after I say it.
ALAKAZAM!

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:35 am

Jungledoc wrote:Out of curiosity, what would you have suggested if I had posted this before we came home?
Well, my post-workout shakes lately have been simple, mostly because I'm packing a shaker bottle and a bottle of water and downing it while I sit in my car in the parking lot.

But, when I make a more serious shake, I mix in any or all of the following:

- light cream (for the fat and calories)
- spices (cinnamon, vanilla, vanilla extract, allspice, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice mix, turmeric - I almost always have cinnamon and turmeric in it)
- yogurt (usually full-fat Greek or Bulgarian yogurt)
- nuts (almonds, walnuts, or pecans - my blender turns them into tiny fragments)
- chunky peanut butter
- fruit (bananas, anything else that seems like it'll break up quickly, often frozen...lots of people like frozen blueberries but frozen blueberries + protein powder = I want to puke for me)
- wheat germ
- flax seeds (ground, for the fiber when I'm on very low carbs)
- psyllium husks (ground, for the fiber when I'm on very low carbs)
- 100% cocoa powder (for the flavor, nutrients, and fiber)
- ice cream (only did that once, but man, I know why people do it)
- instant coffee (good for a morning shake if you want the caffeine)
- whatever nasty vitamin powder my mom tried and didn't like enough to finish. :wink:

...plus stuff I'm certainly forgetting. I kind of stand around with the blender and keep adding stuff that looks like it might help the taste and has nurtients I want. The cinnamon and turmeric, for example, do both nicely. The wheat germ...eh....not so much for the taste as the nutrients.

I tend to add just a little of each, and try not to go too overboard.

Note that some of these are "post workout shakes" and some of them are combo post workout shakes and post workout meals. So I want a lot of calories that'll take a while to burn. This is especially true if I drink one after I get back from my MMA class, because I go right to sleep shortly afterwards.

Not sure which of these things you'd like to try and can get in PNG. They taste good in a whey protein/Muscle Milk mix, though.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:47 am

My wife and I have been having late night snacks of protein, frozen berries and a banana mized up with a hand blender. My wife likes milk in her's. I use water. It's very satisfying and reduces craving for other snacks.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Ironmaiden--I think you've said that you always mix your prot powder with water not milk, but I can't remember if you've said why. I know you're not afraid of fat in general. Do you just prefer to avoid fat pre-workout?