Help, fatty wanting to lose a few (read 20!) kilos!

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Help, fatty wanting to lose a few (read 20!) kilos!

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 am

Okay so I'm back to a weight loss phase of my life. I've so far lost and kept off 20kg (44lbs) over the last 18 months, but it's now time to push for some more loss as I've noticed I'm gaining back some fat and losing muscle size (i.e. staying the same weight but clothes not fitting the same).

Previously a daily intake would have been something like:
Breakfast:
Egg and Bacon Sandwich with Mayo, red bull or coffee

Lunch:
Baguette with Chicken breast, bacon, lettuce, mayo, 500ml diet coke, pack of potato chips or variant

Dinner:
Ravioli/Tortellini pasta and tomato based sauce with grated cheese
Or
Garlic Chicken Kiev with dry roasted potatoes, corn, carrots and peas

Already you can see the following:
Too many Carbs, especially white flour in the baguette and pasta
Too much fat in the mayo and butter in the Kiev
Too much bacon (I'm going to miss bacon!)
Too many packaged convenience foods
Not enough protein to stave off hunger

Lately and from here out I'm trying for something more like:
Breakfast:
Corn Flakes in natural low fat Yoghurt with berries (raspberries or blackberries), coffee with skim milk (I don't drink coffee black) no sugar

Morning Tea Snack:
Banana/Apple and muesli bar, coffee with skim milk no sugar.

Lunch:
Cafeteria food 3 times a week (roast meal, lasagne or steamed chicken breast all with vegetables is an average lunch) and lunch from home 2 times (sandwich with luncheon meats like ham, chicken or turkey on brown bread with cheese, lettuce, carrot and onion, no dressing would be an average lunch)

Afternoon Tea Snack:
Grapes/Cherries and yoghurt

Dinner:
Meat (beef, chicken, pork or lamb steaks, dry grilled) with carrots, peas, corn and potatoes (either dry baked with seasoning or mashed)
Or
Filled Pasta with tomato based sauce, no cheese, and a small protein shake with skim milk (trying to add around 20 to 40g of protein to the meal).

Post Workout:
Protein Shake with skim milk

Work out day bed time:
Protein Shake with skim milk

I note that there is a lot of dairy in there, my family has a history of bone disorders so I'd like to keep calcium up without taking a supplement. I'm aiming for 1900 to 2000 calories a day on non workout days, adding a protein shake post workout and before bed on work out days (once the work out warrants it that is!). This is because, by some calculations I did on ExRx, the BMR for someone who is 99kg is 2150 and I'd like a daily minimum of a 150 calorie deficit for my goal weight. My aim is to go from my current 120kg (265lbs) to 99kg (218lbs) by April 25th 2009 (my next birthday), which is approx. 34 weeks from now.

Why is he writing all this here, I hear you think! Well, so it's in writing and it may just help me stick to it! But also to get feedback on what I can change in it to help with weight loss. I want to build muscle as I drop fat too (don't we all?), which is hard to o but I know I can do it, I just need motivation and commitment! It's putting my knowledge of nutrition into practice that I have the 2nd most trouble with; sticking to things long term is my major problem! So I thought with some help I may just get there! I've tried Weight Watchers which helped for a while, but I felt a bit too 'fish out of water' when the group leader tried to convince me that 1kg of fat and 1kg of muscle were the same thing, yes I know they're both 1kg but one takes up the space of a football the other takes up the space of a tennis ball was my point! So here I am, still fat, still lazy and commitment is still untested, but with a new fire in my belly aiming for change, a motivation I haven't had in a while!

Any feed back on my slapped together diet to help me tune it into a real plan would be great! I am really open to ideas as my wife has finally agreed to letting me rule the k-word, as she wants to lose weight also! Previously I was always fighting her tastes in food, but now I chose, MWAHAHAHAHA! Our other big killer in the k-word has been portion sizes, not being willing to leave some food on the plate or over filling the plate 'just in case' we're hungrier than we though. So control of portions will be the key to keeping calories under 2000 per day.

Also I'll be keeping a workout journal so feel free to look to se if I'm doing enough of the hard part to justify the diet plan!

Cheers for reading,

John W

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:49 am

Your new diet still has some deficincies.

Bacon and eggs are OK for breakfast, heavy on the eggs, light on the bacon. Add berries or fruit and you're good. Skip the toast and cereal. If you go with cereal, chose oatmeal, not corn flakes. Check the glycemic load of your meal.

Don't be afraid of fat. Make sure you get a balance of fats. Natural fats are always better than artificial. Look for wild or grass fed meats. Fish or fish oil is essential.

Get protein in every meal. Youghurt is not the best choice for protein. Cheese is good, meat is better.

Dairy, although a good source of calcium, is high in sugar. Save it for post workout but otherwise keep it to a minimum.

Watch out for sandwiches and pasta dishes. You can not lose 20Kg if you have these in your diet at all. Take a salad with chicken or canned salmon or tuna. Use dressing made of olive oil. Check the carbs on the label. Select the one with the lowest carbs.

Stu

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks Stu!

The biggest batle I'm fighting at the moment is finding good produce for salads and decent cuts of meat that don't cause me to need a mortgage here in the UK!

I agree with the changing breads for salads and if I think I'll add a half a chicken breast (cooked the night before, cold from the fridge) to breakfast and get rid of the cereal.

The pasta will stay, a man has cravings and this will be my one that stays! However bread I can do without, it's just easy to throw together a sandwich! I mean the cafeteria food is pretty good, today's was a lamb curry with HEAPS of veggies in it served on brown rice, I halved the rice that came with it and asked for a few more veggies! Plenty of meat too and it was a decent size serve, not too big or small, just enough to not leave you wanting but not feeling bloated either.

But i think it's time to get off to the supermarket and stock up on a few things to make it a little easier!

Thanks Stu, to be honest I kinda knew all that stuff it's just a matter of draggin it out of the recesses of my mind and applying it when I'm cooking! But haveing it reinforced is really iportnat for my psyche right now so you words were very well received! I'll have a tinker with the diet plan and re-post when I've re-jigged it for some more feed back!

Cheers!

John

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:38 am

jeffrerr wrote:Thanks Stu!

The biggest batle I'm fighting at the moment is finding good produce for salads and decent cuts of meat that don't cause me to need a mortgage here in the UK!
I'm in Scotland. There's a technique to getting cheap protein here. If you frequent Morrison, Asda and Tesco (and other one that's close by), then you will always get deals on chicken. You can get the stuff that's only has 2 days left on the sell by date nice and cheap - normally 2 trays for about [1 million dollars]. The trays normally have 4-6 breasts in them. Just buy everything you see at that price and freeze it if you're not going to use it straight away. Any supermarket close to you, just go and check the meat - they are fighting each other all the time just now, especially with the credit crunch. They are also trying to get customers back from Aldi (if you have an Aldi close by, get all you can from there - 'no name' brands but great quality, and very cheap).

It's worth another mention - Aldi rules.

Anyway, when you're checking meat, also check the cans of tuna. If you're sharp, you'll get 6 cans for [1 million dollars]-[1 million dollars].

It's also worth checking a local butchers for prices (often dissappointing, to be honest) and checking if a farmers market comes near buy. Normally every town has one visit once per month. A lot of towns just have farmers markets located with in them (might be called cattle markets). These places can often have cheap protein, and better quality. but to be honest they can also be over rated - not as cheap as people make out. But check around and see if there's any about.

The same applies to Turkey and Steak, and cans of salmon, but there is ALWAYS deals on chicken and tuna.

'Egg Wars' are less common but you should be able to pick up 18-24 for about [1 million dollars]-[1 million dollars] again, depending on where you go and your luck.

In short, supermakets are always at war and you're sharp you can really make a saving from it. It can sound like a pain, but, for me, this is how I manage it... I work next to a Morrisons with a Sainsburys 1 mile away from Morrisons. I train next to an Azda. And I also live 5-6 miles away from a Tesco and Aldi. Put the word out to friends and/or family members aswell and you'll find out that way, too. If there's a deal on meat somewhere, someone in the gym normally tells me about it as well.

My training partner gets 'extra large eggs' for FREE because of someone his parents know. 10g of protein per egg. My girlfirends parents have a pet Duck but i've not became that desperate yet :roll:

KPj

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks Mate,

I'm in Dundee myself. Anyway, I think it's more me being a protein snob then anything! Back home in Australia I can get awesome cuts of steak for roughly 2/3 the price of poor quality cuts here! And it's cheaper here since I moved up from Oxford, couldn't believe the differences 500 miles makes!

Anyway, I'll head off to the local shops tonight, but being Monday won't be a good bargain shoppers night!

I think if I can get myself to stop being so lazy and pre-prepare meals of a night then I'll be fine. I've done it before and having the added motivation of the wife doing it with me will make things easier!

Cheers,

John

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:53 am

Stu,

I think what I'll try to do with the pasta meals is go for more of a pasta bake scenario adding chicken, minced beef or tuna but in a better ratio than instructed. It's normally about 1g:1g pasta to meat but I'll up it to 1g:1.5g to balance the carb/protein a bit better. Also I'll scrap white flour past for wholemeal brown pasta of a lower GI variety. I'll also stick to tomato based sauces rather than creamy sauces.

As for the salads I'll take KPj's advice and hit the stores more frequently looking for meat so I should also get in on some better deals for "fresh" produce!

Cheers again for you help!

John

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:57 am

Try substituting vegetables for pasta. Spaghetti squash subs for spaghetti obviously. Some use eggplant instead of lasagna noodles. I don't like the taste but it's worth trying. Mashed califlower works as a substitute for potatoes. You can add garlics and herbs to make it more tasty.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:59 am

Tell me about it. You need a good butcher to get a good cut here. Normally found in small towns. I would expect Dundee to have a few reputable butchers. Good old fashioned family butchers - the only place to get a decent steak. The supermarket stuff is just the essentials - the stuff you've had so much you barely even taste it anymore.

If you like fish, it's the same deal. normally there's some nice well known fish mongers who get fresh stuff in every morning. Great if you want to make some kind of Scallop dish - complete with candle light, wine, and some barry white. Not that I listen to Barry White, nope, not me. Anyway.....

And, yes, cost must be daunting. Anytime I've been in the states and / or Canada, it's been steak every night - so cheap! Well, no, it's just really expensive here. But still - got to take advantage.

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:02 am

The grocery stores here usually mark down their older product about 1/2 hour before closing. It's the best time to look for meat. Either that, or first thing in the morning.

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:03 am

Unfortunately the wife doesn't eat fish/seafood full stop, so I'll save the fish for lunches that I make for just me and Barry White!

I've only got 8 weeks left in the UK and it's back to Aus with good meat and good fruit and veg and a gym that only costs $3.30 AUD per week for 24/7 access and my bike! Oh and a real summer too!

John

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:06 am

Hey Stu,

I'll give it ago, but I also don't like eggplant!

So anyway I think I'm begining to put a better plan together! I'll have a look at it at home tonight and put in on here tomorrow! I'll try to think through a weeks worth and and put 2 or 3 options on here as an example!

Cheers,

John

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:11 am

Hey! what d'ya mean? "real summer" (zips up Ski jacket + puts gloves on)

Can't think what you mean...

Good old Scotland. Whilst the rest of the world suffers from longer and hotter summers due to global warming, Scotland gets a hint of sunlight followed by thunderous flash foods. We actually look forward to dull, clowdy, grey days. But hey - we have some great landscapes.

KPj

p.s hope you supplement vitamin D!

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:13 am

Sorry forgive me for not reading through and through.

I noticed the first few lines said that you are losing weight but then gaining some fat back and losing muscle mass.

Remember that if you are trying to lose weight but also keep your muscle mass you need to be lifting heavy.

Find a heavy weight for you that you can lift about 5times and keep doing it.
You should post your workout routine so we can get a rough idea of your workouts

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:18 am

Oh, also - In Australia, do you stay anywhere near Dubbo? A good friend of mine is not long back from Dubbo. He was there for a year, played Rugby for the Rhinos.

KPj

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:24 am

Hey KPj,

I'm from Tasmania, never been to Dubbo! The weather in Tas is similar to Scotland, but about 5 degrees warmer on average and a fair bit sunnier! Landscape is the same though, mountianous and green!