Carby Snacks (Granola, Crackers)
43%
Dairy-ee Snacks (Ice Cream)
43%

Total votes: 7

tyler

Most overlooked good foods?

Post by tyler » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:35 am

Sometimes I think people miss out on foods because they often forget about them. I was just going to list one...but I decided to break it down what I think is one per food group, and see what you all think...and give suggestions that I might not otherwise thought of-

Bread/Grain group- oatmeal. And not LOADED with sugar...but maybe just a touch of brown sugar or something. People think its only a breakfast food...but many times I've made a bowl instead of eatting a huge meal and saved many calories. I don't think oatmeal should be overlooked.

Fruit Group- Any fruit that hasn't been blended into juice. Nowadays it seems everyone just wants to buy the juice and drink their fruit...the problem is a lot of it is even 100% juice, and the stuff that is doesn't have the fiber to go along with it. Plus fruit juice isn't exactly filling...and very easy to drink.

Vegetable group- although technically a fruit, I think many people dismiss pumpkin as only a thanksgiving pie. It is loaded with good vitamins and minerals, and cheap to buy in a can, add a bit of sweetener, and eat plain or on things. Better than eating a sugary little debbie for dessert or something.

Dairy group- Yogurt. Sure, a lot of people eat it, but they seem to eat the kind that is just like eating dessert. I prefer the artifical sweetener kind...good taste with not nearly as many calories from sugars.

Meat group- I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but I think beans are an underrated food that belongs in this category. Everyone eats plenty of meat as is, and for those that choose to lighten their grain consumption, you still get good protein with beans along with good fiber to help move it on through!

And I decided to add the most overrated "health" food on here too. Not any specific group. But in my opinion it is soy products. Not because they are unhealthy, but they are certainly a rip-off for the amount you pay and the amount you get. Now I want to hear what you guys think!

anandsr21
Novice
Novice

Post by anandsr21 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:55 am

You might want to avoid the artificial sweeteners. They are not exactly good.
A non caloric natural sweetner exists, but it has been banned simply because there is no commercial value in it for the giants. I am talking about Stevia.

It is allowed as a dietary supplement but not as a general sweetener. How weird can it be. There are no negative studies except for those sponsored by the giants. Japan has been using it very extensively since 70s, more than 30 years.

You may want to use it instead. There is no single manufacturer and cannot recommend any. I just found out about it during my research to get healthy.

Luckily some companies are starting to cultivate the plants in India. Hopefully it will be available easily in a few years. You should have no problem though. It should be costing nearly the same as the artificial sweetners.

Try to buy as natural as you can. eg. dried or powdered leaves instead of the extracted chemical stevioside. They are not soluble, but you can make your own solution drain it and use the liquid later. The purified form will not be as good as the dried leaves but will be much much better than the artificial sweeteners.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:11 am

None of the above.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:18 am

anandsr21 wrote:You might want to avoid the artificial sweeteners. They are not exactly good.
A non caloric natural sweetner exists, but it has been banned simply because there is no commercial value in it for the giants. I am talking about Stevia.

It is allowed as a dietary supplement but not as a general sweetener. How weird can it be. There are no negative studies except for those sponsored by the giants. Japan has been using it very extensively since 70s, more than 30 years.

You may want to use it instead. There is no single manufacturer and cannot recommend any. I just found out about it during my research to get healthy.

Luckily some companies are starting to cultivate the plants in India. Hopefully it will be available easily in a few years. You should have no problem though. It should be costing nearly the same as the artificial sweetners.

Try to buy as natural as you can. eg. dried or powdered leaves instead of the extracted chemical stevioside. They are not soluble, but you can make your own solution drain it and use the liquid later. The purified form will not be as good as the dried leaves but will be much much better than the artificial sweeteners.

There is no evidence there is anything wrong with any artificial sweeteners. In fact the subject is loaded with urban legend. Someone needs to check out snopes.com.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Most overlooked good foods?

Post by Ironman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:27 am

tyler wrote:Sometimes I think people miss out on foods because they often forget about them. I was just going to list one...but I decided to break it down what I think is one per food group, and see what you all think...and give suggestions that I might not otherwise thought of-

Bread/Grain group- oatmeal. And not LOADED with sugar...but maybe just a touch of brown sugar or something. People think its only a breakfast food...but many times I've made a bowl instead of eatting a huge meal and saved many calories. I don't think oatmeal should be overlooked.

Fruit Group- Any fruit that hasn't been blended into juice. Nowadays it seems everyone just wants to buy the juice and drink their fruit...the problem is a lot of it is even 100% juice, and the stuff that is doesn't have the fiber to go along with it. Plus fruit juice isn't exactly filling...and very easy to drink.

Vegetable group- although technically a fruit, I think many people dismiss pumpkin as only a thanksgiving pie. It is loaded with good vitamins and minerals, and cheap to buy in a can, add a bit of sweetener, and eat plain or on things. Better than eating a sugary little debbie for dessert or something.

Dairy group- Yogurt. Sure, a lot of people eat it, but they seem to eat the kind that is just like eating dessert. I prefer the artifical sweetener kind...good taste with not nearly as many calories from sugars.

Meat group- I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but I think beans are an underrated food that belongs in this category. Everyone eats plenty of meat as is, and for those that choose to lighten their grain consumption, you still get good protein with beans along with good fiber to help move it on through!

And I decided to add the most overrated "health" food on here too. Not any specific group. But in my opinion it is soy products. Not because they are unhealthy, but they are certainly a rip-off for the amount you pay and the amount you get. Now I want to hear what you guys think!
If they eat plenty of meat, how are grains and beans even something to think about? There is no comparison between complete and incomplete protein sources. It sounds like propaganda you hear from people who are trying to be vegetarian.

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 am

I agree with Ironman on the Artificial Sweeteners! If you look at most of the negative "research" about Equal etc. you'll find that it is profit share war! In most situations The Sugar Caine Growers associations world wide funded the anit-research and the Coca Colas and Pepsi's of the world funded the positive research. If you look at the research most of the people used in the studies to prove artificial sweeteners are bad were Type II diabetic which is 1) Caused by high levels of sugar in the diet and 2) a major risk factor in the diseases they say were caused by the artificial sweetener. If you ask me an abundance of any chemical in your system will cause problems, be it natural or artificial! I mean excess water will kill you! I think the whole artificial sweetner thing is just urban legend as Ironman said!

Also I am a big fan of Yogurt! I like to buy low fat, low sugar an dmix it with a scoop of protein powder (as long as it's an easy to mix variety, my current one is not so good as it's a cheapy!) and fresh fruit like raspberries, blackberries, appricots, peaches or strawberries! Usually a below 200 cal snack with not too much sugar and upwards of 20g protein with the powder mixed in!

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:51 am

Can you add a none choice?

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:58 am

Ironman wrote:None of the above.
Ironmaiden708 wrote:Can you add a none choice?
Ditto!

I notice no-one has voted for anything yet.

anandsr21
Novice
Novice

Post by anandsr21 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:36 am

I didn't find any research that would conclusively show aspartame to be bad, but the wikipedia page is quite informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

It shows that there are several problems that happen in mice, but they are not expected to happen in humans. I don't know why that would be but anyway.

It could be that it is safe. I just am not very sure that FDA wouldn't have been bribed as the case of Stevia shows.

There are no known independent studies against Stevia. But FDA has still banned it, citing some anonymous report. The interesting thing is that the FDA refuses to disclose that report, even after several attempts using Freedom of information act. Finally it was approved to be used as dietary supplement, but not as food additive, which is contradictory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

Stevia has not been shown to have bad side effects on any animals. If both are available at nearly same cost, I would preferably go with something that has not been shown to have any bad effects.

There was one report that showed that it was mutagenic. But the report was discredit showing data mishandling.

Sorry, if I am beating a dead horse.

regards,
-anandsr

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 am

I went with ice cream. I don't know if it's healthy or not, but it's great. I don't eat a lot of it, it tastes good, it's easy to get without artificial crud in it, and I like it.

Beats the other stuff with a stick. My other snacks - nuts, dried fish, dried meat, fruit, really good dark chocolate (85% cacao, usually), etc. are all much more nutritious than ice cream.

tyler

Re: Most overlooked good foods?

Post by tyler » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:10 am

Ironman wrote:
tyler wrote:Sometimes I think people miss out on foods because they often forget about them. I was just going to list one...but I decided to break it down what I think is one per food group, and see what you all think...and give suggestions that I might not otherwise thought of-

If they eat plenty of meat, how are grains and beans even something to think about? There is no comparison between complete and incomplete protein sources. It sounds like propaganda you hear from people who are trying to be vegetarian.
Because they have fiber to help move things through ;). And fiber can help aid when on a diet...

tyler

Post by tyler » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:13 am

And I don't see any other suggestions! If you don't like mine...feel free to throw out your own :razz:

Dr. Zoidberg
n00b
n00b

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:43 pm

You guys are way off... You need to do your homework... Obviously the healthiest snack you can get is this right here! Sheesh and you call yourselves healthy! :grin:

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:35 pm

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:You guys are way off... You need to do your homework... Obviously the healthiest snack you can get is this right here! Sheesh and you call yourselves healthy!
Wow! cant wait for my next bulk!

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:You guys are way off... You need to do your homework... Obviously the healthiest snack you can get is this right here! Sheesh and you call yourselves healthy! :grin:
He's right, it's the Heathiest food around.

After all, it only has a few ingredients:
Ingredients: reduced fat milk, heath bar crunch ice cream (cream, nonfat milk, caramel ribbon (corn syrup, sweetened condensed whole milk (milk, sugar), water, high fructose corn syrup, butter (cream, salt), propylene glycol, sodium alginate, salt, natural and artificial vanilla flavors, potassium sorbate (preservative), soy lecithin, annatto color, sodium bicarbonate, propyl paraben (preservative)) , heath® bar candy pieces [milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, nonfat milk, milk fat, lactose, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), salt, and vanillin (an artificial flavoring)), sugar, palm oil, dairy butter (milk), almonds, salt, artificial flavoring, and soy lecithin], sugar, corn syrup, toffee base (sweetened condensed whole milk, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water, natural flavor, disodium phosphate, and salt), whey powder, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, polysorbate 80), fudge topping (corn syrup, sugar, water, hydrogenated coconut oil, nonfat milk, cocoa (treated with alkali), modified corn starch, salt, sodium bicarbonate, disodium phosphate, potassium sorbate (a preservative), natural and artificial flavors, soy lecithin), jamoca ice cream (cream, nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, jamoca extract (coffee extract, sugar, potassium sorbate and methyl paraben (as preservatives)) whey, caramel color, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, polysorbate 80, carob bean gum, guar gum), caramel praline topping (corn syrup, sweetened condensed whole mil, water, sugar, modified food starch, butter, salt, propylene glycol, natural and artificial flavor, sodium citrate, xanthan gum, lecithin, potassium sorbate and propyl paraben as preservatives), hershey’s® heath® milk chocolate english toffee (milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, nonfat milk, milk fat, lactose, soy lecithin [an emulsifier], salt, and vanillin [an artificial flavoring]), sugar, palm oil, dairy butter (milk), almonds, salt, artificial flavoring, and soy lecithin), whipped cream (whipped cream (cream, milk, sugar, dextrose, nonfat dry milk, artificial flavor, mono & diglycerides, carrageenan, mixed tocopherols (vitamin e), to protect flavor, propellant: nitrous oxide).
Heh.