Sugar cravings

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:29 am

We are left with one question. What is the actual cause of sugar cravings. Junlgedoc says no to both actual addiction and blood sugar levels. I agree with one and Dib agrees with the other.

Here is an article relating to women that kind of agrees with me, however it really offers no proof, just another point of view.

http://www.womentowomen.com/symptoms/cravings.aspx

Here is one that seems to blame adrenal function.

http://www.gallbladderattack.com/sugarcravings.shtml

Here is one with several causes. The whole page is total bollocks, but it shows how much speculation there is on the topic.

http://www.arltma.com/SugarCarbNews.htm

This one blames low blood sugar in people with normal insulin function. As in the cure is to just eat something healthy.

http://www.weightandwellness.com/scoop_sugar.html

This one says yes to addiction because of it allegedly raising dopamine levels at the receptors.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/pu ... ings.shtml

Here is one that blames candida. Sounds true to me, however it doesn't account for everyone.

http://www.metromint.com/wellness/qa_oct06.html

So with all that, maybe the answer is that we don't know.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Chemicals in foods?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:02 am

I know it's not chemicals in food. That is a whole lot of nothing blown out of proportion. If anyone starts telling you about "toxins", that is your cue to stop listening.

I haven't seen any research. Just opinions by doctors that seem to vary. My opinion of course comes from what I have seen some doctors say. But it looks like they don't all agree.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:50 am

How about the fact that lots of carbohydrate foods taste really good? If I haven't had ANY carbs for a while, I just miss how they taste. I just ate an Orea. One.

Also, there is a lot of operant conditioning. What did you mom give you as a reward when you went pee-pee in the potty chair instead of in your pants? I'll bet M&Ms! So we associate sweets with success and approval, starting at a very early age. Later, when we are feeling discouraged or feeling like a failure, what is guaranteed to make you feel better? Carbs.

I've cancelled my plan to go back for a second Oreo.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:57 pm

That's pretty good. That sounds very plausible to me. That would be extremely strong psychological conditioning. That, plus an evolutionary drive for calorie dense food, a slight elevation in dopamine, plus slight variations in blood sugar level, and the cultural factor add up to something very powerful indeed.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:15 pm

That Oreo is still there. I'm thinking about it.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:47 am

Jungledoc wrote: Also, there is a lot of operant conditioning. What did you mom give you as a reward when you went pee-pee in the potty chair instead of in your pants? I'll bet M&Ms! So we associate sweets with success and approval, starting at a very early age. Later, when we are feeling discouraged or feeling like a failure, what is guaranteed to make you feel better? Carbs.
Great point. I bring this up when people tell me they NEED a dessert. After eating, they NEED something sweet. I say, "is that because you’ve been a good boy/girl and you’ve eaten your vegetables so you deserve a little treat?”. That IS exactly where it comes from in my opinion. It feels like a reward.

My sister does the same thing with my nephew, except, she uses dry fruit. Yip – dried fruit! He thinks he’s getting something really tasty. She achieved this by eating it herself and being very over enthusiastic, which made him want it. But he can only get it if he eats all of his vegetables! It’s quite funny. I don’t think he even knows sweets, chocolate, or whatever even exist.

It’ll be interesting to see if she can keep it up. Nursery/school will probably screw it up when the time comes, though.

KPj

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 pm

Actually I read something somewhere that a something sweet can help your body feel satiated. You would, of course, be better off eating one oreo (doc) than half the bag (hoosegow). Once again, this is a nugget of knowledge that I have with no reference so take it for what it is worth.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 am

You can just eat something that tastes sweet. There is a lot of good sugar free stuff out there now. Fat makes you feel full too.

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:02 pm

Jungledoc wrote:How about the fact that lots of carbohydrate foods taste really good? If I haven't had ANY carbs for a while, I just miss how they taste. I just ate an Orea. One.

Also, there is a lot of operant conditioning. What did you mom give you as a reward when you went pee-pee in the potty chair instead of in your pants? I'll bet M&Ms! So we associate sweets with success and approval, starting at a very early age. Later, when we are feeling discouraged or feeling like a failure, what is guaranteed to make you feel better? Carbs.

I've cancelled my plan to go back for a second Oreo.
According to this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/healt ... at.html?em

"The researchers found that restricting the cookies had a profound effect: consumption more than tripled compared with when the cookies were served on plates.

Other studies show that children whose food is highly restricted at home are far more likely to binge when they have access to forbidden foods."

I think sugar cravings aren't so much based around an addiction or chemical imbalance or the sorts but a result of psychological conditioning.
hoosegow wrote:
Actually I read something somewhere that a something sweet can help your body feel satiated ....this is a nugget of knowledge that I have with no reference so take it for what it is worth..
I'm too lazy to look it up but I know it was an article on both yahoo health and mens health at one point.
hoosegow wrote:
You can just eat something that tastes sweet. There is a lot of good sugar free stuff out there now. Fat makes you feel full too.
Again i'm too lazy but I remember reading a paper that said aspertain was worse than sugar, I believe it was in both affecting metabolism and health.

All that being said, I love chocolate and usually have to have a small piece after dinner.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:37 am

You read some chain mail that said aspartame is worse than sugar. It is an urban legend. It is utter bullshitery of the highest order. Snopes.com is a good place to check that out. Aspartame is probably the most tested substance ever because of the pervasive humbug. One of many things it is said to cause is cancer, in example. The American cancer society did research and showed it does not. Yet people listen to some nut job lady writing chain mail.

Their proof is always, "well so and so drinks diet and they got cancer." They need to learn that relation does not prove causation.

Think of it this way. I have been drinking diet soda for years. And I don't have cancer. So it must protect me from cancer. Do you see how silly that is.

Or how about the fact that the climate is getting hotter, and there are way less pirates than there used to be. So obviously the decline in the number of pirates causes global warming.

Nothing but red herrings and hear say. Then you have proper scientific experiments proving just the opposite.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:36 am

Gee. I thought that global warming was killing off the pirates. Now I'm going to drop my donations to all those environmental organizations!

Actually, I'm guessing the thing about kids who are denied sweets being more likely to go overboard is valid. My sister invented Candy Day for her kids. ON Wednesday, there were no limits on candy. No candy was allowed on the other days. She thought it would reduce candy consumption by 1/7. I don't know but I'm pretty sure (I was living with my sister at the time) it increased consumption considerably. The kids turned out OK.

ninjackn
Novice
Novice

Post by ninjackn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Ironman wrote:You read some chain mail that said aspartame is worse than sugar. It is an urban legend. It is utter bullshitery of the highest order. Snopes.com is a good place to check that out. Aspartame is probably the most tested substance ever because of the pervasive humbug. One of many things it is said to cause is cancer, in example. The American cancer society did research and showed it does not. Yet people listen to some nut job lady writing chain mail.

Their proof is always, "well so and so drinks diet and they got cancer." They need to learn that relation does not prove causation.

Think of it this way. I have been drinking diet soda for years. And I don't have cancer. So it must protect me from cancer. Do you see how silly that is.

Or how about the fact that the climate is getting hotter, and there are way less pirates than there used to be. So obviously the decline in the number of pirates causes global warming.

Nothing but red herrings and hear say. Then you have proper scientific experiments proving just the opposite.
:eek: Okay... So I was wrong about aspartame being bad for your health. It was carelessness on my part. Letting the ignorant cries of many get stuck in my head like a bad song, my tendency to prefer less processed foods and simplifying the negative side of aspartame to the improper generalization of "aspartame bad for health".

But I was still right about it affecting metabolism... kinda. Here's a link:
http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/ ... lsweet.htm
and a quote (from the link):
"Our findings and theoretical framework are in closer agreement with the possibility that increased intake of no-calorie sugar substitutes could promote increased intake and body weight gain, which is consistent with recent data from prospective human clinical studies that have documented increased risk for obesity and metabolic syndrome in individuals consuming beverages sweetened with high-intensity sweeteners."

So my original response to "just eat something that tastes sweet" was poorly worded. The point I was trying to make was I believe sugar cravings are psychological and artificial sweeteners might not be a good way of satisfying that psychological need.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:07 pm

ninjackn wrote:
Ironman wrote:You read some chain mail that said aspartame is worse than sugar. It is an urban legend. It is utter bullshitery of the highest order. Snopes.com is a good place to check that out. Aspartame is probably the most tested substance ever because of the pervasive humbug. One of many things it is said to cause is cancer, in example. The American cancer society did research and showed it does not. Yet people listen to some nut job lady writing chain mail.

:eek: Okay... So I was wrong about aspartame being bad for your health. It was carelessness on my part. Letting the ignorant cries of many get stuck in my head like a bad song, my tendency to prefer less processed foods and simplifying the negative side of aspartame to the improper generalization of "aspartame bad for health".

But I was still right about it affecting metabolism... kinda. Here's a link:
http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/ ... lsweet.htm
and a quote (from the link):
"Our findings and theoretical framework are in closer agreement with the possibility that increased intake of no-calorie sugar substitutes could promote increased intake and body weight gain, which is consistent with recent data from prospective human clinical studies that have documented increased risk for obesity and metabolic syndrome in individuals consuming beverages sweetened with high-intensity sweeteners."

So my original response to "just eat something that tastes sweet" was poorly worded. The point I was trying to make was I believe sugar cravings are psychological and artificial sweeteners might not be a good way of satisfying that psychological need.
Your response was just fine. You just didn't know about the aspartame.

However that other thing you pointed out about the relation of over-eating and sweeteners has the same problem I was talking about. Relation does not prove causation. There are many other explanations for the relationship. It is an often sited study that is just so much junk science.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Toss some cinnamon into a protein shake. Done deal :) And it controls supposedly controls your blood sugar while youre at it.