Binding Foods?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Binding Foods?

Post by Pauly420 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Well, I was having a problem back when i was downing 3 muscle milk shakes a day with some anal leakage and too many bowel movements per day (5+). Same problem is coming back with no shakes and im questioning if its just my caloric intake per day. I probably consume 3-4k calories per day at 180 lbs. I went by the guidelines that if you want to get big you have to eat alot. My local pharmacist told me to research and find binding foods.

The list google has given me is rice, bananas (weird i thought fruit = fiber), and cheese.

I could easily incorporate these in my diet, I was just checking to see if anyone else knew of other options. Maybe a vitamin of sorts that can help with my problem?

Thanks.

mattk25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mattk25 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:16 pm

You sure it's (bowel movements) just from what you're eating?

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauly420 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 pm

That would be my guess, I went on a trip for 2 days recently. I was restricted to 3 meals a day and no snacks. Had no problems the entire trip. My goal here is not to kill my diet but try to compensate with binding foods.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:11 pm

You will get the runs from changing your diet. Try to stabilize it. Fruit is good for fibre as are all vegetables. Raspberries are one of the best sources of fibre. If you're eating grains, eat only whole grains. get a mix of Oats and other grains. If you're not eating grains, increase your vegetables, especially leafy greens and berries. Beans are a good source of fibre but should be treated as grains. Whatever changes you make, do it gradually.

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauly420 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:34 pm

So you are saying I need more fiber? I thought thats the opposite effect im looking for. My thinking was to prevent the runs id want to constipate myself

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Fiber is not a laxative. It will improve either constipation or some forms of diarrhea.

My worry is that it's something else entirely. I'd suggest you see your doctor to try to rule out an inflamatory bowel disease (like Crohn's or Ulcereative Colitis), or something called Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Are you using any supplements now? Some of them might be contributing. You might try leaving each one out for a few days, or stopping them all and (if the symptoms disappear) re-starting them one at a time, adding one back in every 4-5 days to see if the problem reappears.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:32 pm

Some people have issues comsuming too much food at once whether it's in the form of protein or carbs and not absorbing well. Cut down on the amount that ur eating at once.

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauly420 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 pm

I had a colonscopy less than a year ago and already ruled out all the major things. Originally i pinpointed muscle milk as being the problem and stopped using it all together. Symptoms seemed to improve but now that im going back to eating like a madman they have came back. Lastnight I ate a crapload of cheese and it seems to have at least temporarily relieved my problems.

The mini vacation i took and had no problems shed some light on the source. I took the same supplements and the only thing I changed was eating less at once and less often. I think im going to try to add some fiber into my diet and eat alot of cheese every night. Thanks for the input.