When is the best time to drink a protein shake?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:57 am

I think KPJ is doing it just right. If he is kind of small it might be overkill, but otherwise not. It sounds silly, but you need more protein than you need. A little excess protein is a good thing. Also let's not forget the ginormously huge difference between optimal and just enough to not be malnourished.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:29 am

Ironman wrote:I think KPJ is doing it just right. If he is kind of small it might be overkill, but otherwise not. It sounds silly, but you need more protein than you need. A little excess protein is a good thing. Also let's not forget the ginormously huge difference between optimal and just enough to not be malnourished.
Well, I am kind of small - 175lbs (5'7). Because of my height and relatively low body fat, people think i'm heavier than that. I really struggle to keep my weight close to 168-170, which is what i've always tried. I've pretty much accepted that in '09, i'll have to go up to 180-185, maybe more. I don't really count calories, I just base it on performance i.e. if I feel like crappy one week at the gym, normally i'm not eating enough. I'll just make an effort to eat more. As i've got stronger, and work capacity has got better,obviously I need more calories, so it's just been steadily increasing, and despite not training for it 'on paper', I keep gradually getting bigger. Because I train primarily for strength, it's a lot less to sacrifice if I justsay, "what the hell, i'll eat A LOT more than i normally do and see what happens".

Interesting what you said about "you need more than you need". I have this book, but the authors names escape me just now, was a few years ago that I read it. It's called 'ultimate nutrition'. I would say that the bulk of the book is all about 'optimising' your nutritional intake, not so much about what you should eat, but how to maximise the benefits of what you eat. It goes into a lot of detail about how much of what you take in gets wasted when you don't have all the nutrients in check, and says things like, "your body seems to perform better when it has an abundance of resources, as opposed to having just the right amount".

KPj

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:50 am

Yea that's pretty much what Dr. Berardi said about it. He had evidence to back it up too. It looked solid to me.