Best multivitamin(s)

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ironmaiden708

Best multivitamin(s)

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:31 am

If you are in the market for a new multivitamin then check out this link. Good stuff.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/405307/Multivitamin-Guide

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:45 am

thanks.

caira111
former lurker

only a handful people need multi vitamins

Post by caira111 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:57 pm

In my opinion only a handful people need multi vitamins, most of the time you get all the vitamins you need from food. Drinking lots of water is also a great thing to do for your body. Eat right. Lots of fruits and veggies and lean meat. and stay away from these multivitamins as much as possible
Last edited by caira111 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Why would you suggest staying away from multi-vitamins as much as possible?

strathmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by strathmeyer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Because it just flushes out in your urine. Get your vitamins from food.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Nobody requires a multivitamin. And the excretion thing can be said about protein supplementation. Actually depending on the form of vitamin you get it won't just immediately flush through the body. Ascorbic Acid vs Esterfied C.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:54 pm

I happen to be one that believes in getting protein and vitamins from food, but HOWEVER, and a big HOWEVER, is that no, the pills don't all flush out of your system (as protein supplementation won't IF you have a deficientcy from food, which most Americans do not), but look at the average American diet, NO veg or fresh fruit. In their cases, a multi vit/min may be in order. A multi just may be an "insurance" type of thing, and I'd advise to take one.
Tim

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 am

I try and get 10 servings of veg and fruit per day (as per PN guidelines), and I still take a Multi Vit, Fish Oil, and right now i'm also taking Vitamin D on top of that. The multi vit is actually 'Mega' strength,and I try and get close to 10g per day of fishoil. There's been a lot of fuss about Vitamin D recently, so I thought I would increase it to see what happens, if anything.

Supposedly veggies don't have as much nutrients in them as they used to. I don't really know where I read that, though. But that's not the reason I take multi vitamins anyway, I guess what Tim said about 'insurance' is probably why. You also see the recommendation from well known coaches. I also just think, 'the more the merrier'. I think 'nutrients' are under appreciated when it comes to performance. I remember when I started trying to replace a lot of my carbs with veg (which is difficult), I noticed a blatant improvement in performance.

KPj

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:01 am

Actually vitamins vary greatly in how well they are absorbed. It doesn't matter the source of it. Absorption is always an issue. Your stomach also doesn't know weather or not you ate everything surrounding whatever vitamin is in there.

Protein is only excreted if you have more than you can use. The best thing is to have just a little extra. Just to make sure you are maxed out. Unless of course it is to make you not be hungry and not eat something your body can use as fuel all at the same time. Then by all means, excrete away.

A fish oil supplement is good too. Creatine is also quite useful. It's not just for bodybuilders.

Can we ever put this natural is better myth to bed. Your body doesn't know the difference. Provided the absorption issue is taken into account anyway.

I eat fish for dinner at least once a week if not twice. Plus There is the canned tuna, salmon, sardines, kippers and herring I have here and there. I still take fish oil. My body hasn't the slightest Fv(K1ng clue which oil came from where either. My body probably doesn't even know if any particular omega 3 may have come from a walnut instead. Did it get the fiber from the walnuts or the salad? Did the vitamins arrive in veggies or a tablet? Did the water arrive by itself, or with some food coloring, aspartame, artificial flavoring, phosphoric acid, sodium and caffeine? It doesn't know if I ate everything separate or mixed it all in a blender.

It doesn't sit there and go "ewww that came from a tablet, I don't want that! Send it straight to the colon. Give me the one that arrived inside the veggies!" Your stomach is an internal organ, not a spoiled primadona.

That said don't get the dollar store special vitamins. Those just make your piss look like Mountain Dew. Look into higher quality vitamins, and no they don't have to be expensive.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:10 am

Ironman wrote: That said don't get the dollar store special vitamins. Those just make your piss look like Mountain Dew. Look into higher quality vitamins, and no they don't have to be expensive.
ah HA! Now i know what's causing it. I knew I should of stuck to my usual multi vit instead of the mega ultra crap I bought. Dammit.

Can't believe you said that, lol. There was me thinking I was some kind of freak.

KPj

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:26 am

I'm not sure if you're serious or joking. But it's funny either way you take it.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:48 am

Ironman wrote:I'm not sure if you're serious or joking. But it's funny either way you take it.
I'm actually serious. I was going to mention it in my first post, but it's only happened since I bought these 'MEGA' multi vits and Vit D. I thought it would just make all Vitamin pills look bad when obviously that's not the case. I bought the MEGA ones beginning of this month, but i've been taking a multi vit for a couple of years now and this has never happened. I was actually thinking it was the Vitamin D, but from you saying that, I'm sure it's the new multi vit that's doing it now. Only one way to find out - get the old mutli vit and take that and see if the Mountain Dew goes away.

KPj

Porovoz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Porovoz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Wow, I had no idea there was such a large spectrum of multivitamin performance! If one can't afford to blow ~$60 a month on a safety net, is there still value in taking a cheap multivitamin, or is that going to be next to useless?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:56 am

Eat real food and you don't need to supplement.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:43 am

I disagree with stuward here a little bit. I eat real food, and a lot of it, but I still take a multivitamin daily.

It's not that expensive, and it provides a useful "safety net" for the price. On days where I don't get enough foods with a specific vitamin or mineral in it, I still get sufficient intake from my multi. When I do, my body expels the extra. I'd rather spend the money on the "extra" in order to make sure I have what I need when I need it.

The problem occurs if you try to go backwards - take a multi, and then not worry about intake from whole foods. I believe you can't really make up for a bad diet with a multivitamin. If your diet doesn't provide sufficient nutrition it's not enough on its own. So yeah, whole foods should be your main concern, and you can't let a multivitamin blind you to the need for good food. But it's not wasted money, in my opinion, unless you skip the whole foods.