Pills to help flatulence / farting

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Flatulance is one of the least controllable of body functions. Bowel gas is a mixture of several (5 maybe?) different gases that are formed by the bacteria in our colons. Different bacteria make different gasses, and different bacteria thrive on different compounds. Some bacteria can make different gasses according to their current "diet". What you eat doesn't usually show up in the colon for a couple of days, so you wouldn't ordinarily see the effects of your diet changes for a couple of days.

Lactose intolerance increases bowel motility, so it can move things through faster, and thus less digested, and it leaves more carb in the gut for the bacteria in your colon to snack on. To the best of my knowledge there are no meds that have been successful at suppressing farts, or changing their odor. Some people have tried chlorophil tablets, but I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Usually our diets are such a complex mixture of compounds that it's hard to pin down a single dietary cause, but you can try varying things systematically for a few days at a time and see what the outcome is. That actually was meant to be a pun.

I would suspect that in your case the volume of prodein is what's causing this. Try cutting back to find a level that won't bother you.

Is your protein pure whey? Or is it a mix of proteins? If it's a mixture, try pure whey and see if that's better.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:18 am

3 scoops, plus a big glass of milk is probably 100 grams. That's too much at once. You can't absorb all that. I'm one of the biggest protein advocates here. But I'm telling you, your body can't digest it all. In that situation, being that it can't be digested, it act's a lot like fiber. It makes stuff move on through much more quickly. The milk increases that. If you have a very slight intolerance to lactose, which many people do, it will give you some gas too. You need to space it out. No more 60 grams at a time.

DeFlux
n00b
n00b

Post by DeFlux » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Ok thanks for the advice people. I'll cut it down to 2 scoops rather than 3 at each time.

This is the stuff i'm currently taking - http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/prote ... %285lb%29/

:smile: