Water - how much per day?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

toby123
Novice
Novice

Water - how much per day?

Post by toby123 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:12 pm

I have read, that we should, for muscle gain / fat loss / whatever, drink 2/3 of our bodyweight per day. Multiply your bodyweight in lb by 2/3 to get the recommended amount in fl oz. For example, someone who weighs 180 lb should drink approx 120 fl oz (3.36 litres) which is around 13-15 glasses. One glass per hour I suppose! Obviously it depends on how much you sweat and so on.

This is water in addition to any food. Is this the right amount, it seems a lot? How much does water consumption affect the above goals?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:35 pm

If you drink nothing but water or include all non-caloric beverages in the total then it is about right. It varies from person to person. Activity level is a factor too. You would have to drink a very large quantity of water in a short period of time and have a fairly low sodium diet for it to be a problem. So drinking excess water is fine within reason. So it's fine up to the point where urination frequency becomes a problem. Never being thirsty is a good sign you are drinking enough. But there really is no set rule with water. However I think the thing you came across is pretty close and will probably work for most active people.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:53 pm

I think a better rule of thumb is 1 litre for every 1000 calories expended. This would mean that a 180 lb man of average activity might expend 2400 calories. So drink 2.4 litres. If you're more active, drink more. If you're Michael Phelps and burn 10,000 calories/day , you need 10 litres. Like Ironman said, include non-calorific drinks like coffee and diet pop in your total.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:16 pm

13 for guys, 9 for women

Jungledoc

Re: Water Diet

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:57 am

KateWilliams wrote:You should have at least 8 - 8ounces of water each day
Is the order in which I drink these 8ounces important?

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:20 am

Jungledoc wrote:
Drink the last ones first.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:16 am

SPAM I say ban the user.

Take a look:

Drinking water can help you loose weight and you won't even feel like you are on a diet. Forget all the diet sodas that you are drinking because there is only one liquid which is water that will surely help you loose weight the fastest. Water is one of the healthiest things you can out in your body. Also consider that our bodies are made up of mostly water you can 't go wrong switching your diet soda to water to take off extra weight.

Learn how to find the: Best Diet Plan

Water also is a great way to get waste out of your body so that you can cleanse yourself of harmful toxics that may build up after time. For thirst there is no better liquid than water to get the satisfaction of not being thirsty. Water is also the best way to hydrate your body because the body can get dehydrated very easily and you need to replenish the body. Also if you drink coffee or alcohol it is important to drink extra water along with these items because they will cause the body to get dehydrated and you need the extra water.

Find Great Advice About: Loosing Weight

Using water to diet is very beneficial because it is very easy to be misguided and eat when in fact we are just thirsty. You should have at least 8 - 8ounces of water each day but this depends on your activity level. If you are more active you can consume larger amounts of water.

Remember for the best results in loosing weigh using water you need to drink enough so that your body will burn fat and be replenished.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:39 am

Yeah, I know. I already looked, just out of curiosity. I was just trying to have a little fun with it.

Good idea, Stu. That'll suck the fat out of you in a big hurry.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:20 am

I was just trying to have a little fun with it.
looks like fun.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:00 am

stuward wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
Drink the last ones first.
Yeah, that'll get rid of that hard-to-reach stomach fat first, because you're drinking THAT water first. Brilliant!

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:20 am

Well the water IS going into your stomach, which is near the fat you're trying to get rid of. It makes perfect sense! Genius!

Weasel_of_fury
n00b
n00b

Post by Weasel_of_fury » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 pm

I was worried I was drinking too much water! May not be quite enough..

I've cut out pepsi max now (my primary vice) and feel allot better for it. Do seem to be doing allot of pishing but that only represents how much is going in.

Another handy hint is the shade of your pee. if its not almost clear then more water is goign to help. Darker = your definitely not having enough.