Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thermogenics, creatine and whey, oh my!

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 am

Hey,

For those of you who remember me, it's been a long time! Ironman, I'm still locked up, but this month I'm down to 11 months and days....Still lifting every day though. I moved to a transitional facilty, and now have access to free weights. I've been here for about 6 months now, and I am squatting 650 once and tripling at 635. My bench is my weak point at 405.

My question is this: as you know, I was hitting cables and throwing my buddies around for weightlifting while at my last facility, and now that I have freeweights, I am growing. I recently got supplements approved, and I am looking at what I should do. What I had in mind was this: Whey as a meal replacement for lunch, creatine and Animal Paks daily.

Any advise as to when and how to use, if this is a good combination, and what may be better? Keep in mind that what I may be able to have could be limited, so nothing that SOUNDS really extreme, but if it is low-key but really strong, great. Generally I am eating about a dozen eggs in the morning, egg whites from hard boiled eggs every two hours, and coffee throughout the day, especially right before I lift. I generally have soe hard boiled eggs right before I lift. I have access to chicken breasts, thighs, etc. I work in the k-word so I have free access to the food. (smart feller, eh?) let me know what you guys think, I'm getting my plan devolped. Don't have the supplements yet, I just submitted the finalized proposal, but the supplements themselves have already been approved. I'd greatly appreciate your help again!

Also, good to be back, missed B.S.'n with that old school left winger ironman. I graduated from the community college I was attending online, by the way, and am now at a Pac-Ten University, 7 classes away from my B.A. in Philosophy with the Pre-Law option. I have a 4.0, so I've got a good shot at good grad schools and I've had a bunch of scholarships made available. Just thought I'd update anyone who remembered me.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:47 am

Welcome back Halfbreed. It's great hearing how you're making out. I'm glad things are going well.

Stu

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:18 am

Your weak point is stronger than my strong point.

It's good to hear you're down to under a year left! And good work on college, too. Sticking with weights is great, but getting yourself a BA is going to help you even more when it comes to a career.

Glad to have you back on the forums.

Peter

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks, yeah, I'm pretty excited about school. I think I just got hustled by some program called the National Honors Society Consortium for $65. Oh well though, as long as they don't try to keep charging my card, I'm good. Chalk it to the game.

So I just talked to my Treatment manager, and they looked over my proposal. They are "Strictly against thermogenics," but they said that whey protein with creatine in it would be fine, or something similar. Any ideas?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Usually it's a one-time charge for entry. If not, dispute the charge. :)

The only National Honor Society I know of is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Honor_Society

I thought it was just High School. I got into the Golden Key Honor Society in college. No idea how...they just invited me and my grandma was impressed and paid my initiation fee. I got to sit through a long speech, and many years later I got a discount on car insurance from it...much to my surprise, it paid off!

For the whey protein and creatine, can you just get a straight creatine product? I've been using Biotests's Micronized German Creatine because it's cheap. $12.95 for 500g with free shipping.

For protein I generally switch up between ON Gold Standard 100% Whey or getting pure isolate from trueprotein.com. Both have worked well enough for me.

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:10 pm

It's kind of looking like they don't want me using pure creatine....in truth, I am stronger than all of the guards here, which kind of makes them respect me more, but being I am such a great guy and all, they help me out with this stuff. :wink:

They are suggesting whey with creatine simply because it is a way around the rules for me, so that I can get both. If it were up to them, I'm sure, they would love for me to get everything because at night we go to a dorm, and there are no staff, so they need me to break up the fights and play bouncer. I already had to break up a fight and one kid who got jumped by these two a$sholes. The director of the facility, on the other hand, doesn't want to set a precedent that could allow for other guys to get the same thing, so this is my loophole.

I double checked the name...it was actually called the North American Scholar's Consortium. Says they provide contacts for jobs and scholarship opportunities based on my GPA. I googled it, and it doesn't sound good although there is nobody saying they have seriously been taken for them. I am already planning on disputing the charges.

Anyway, Thanks for the response, and I'll check out the site you got your protein from. Like I've said, I have never used supplements, and all of the guards aronud here say that i will ger ridiculously big and strong with supps as I am already as strong as I am from Cables and Jail food.

I pretty much just view myself as the big fish in the little bowl, as I know there are tons of guys out there way bigger and stronger than I, but I would like to realize my own potential, and am looking into how supplements can help. Somebody mentioned something about "syntha 6," or "sympha six" or something that sounds like that.

Anyway, let me know. I can also probably get some animal paks on the sly, and I've heard these are very good. Any experience with them?

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Don't use Animal Pak

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:13 am

Yea, of course I remember you! Good to see you again. Those are some impressive lifts. You should get into power lifting when you get out. It sounds like you're really getting your life together.

There is some six star whey that wal-mart sells that has a little creatine in it. You might see if they can get that for you.

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks, I was actually looking at some nitrotech hardcore yesterday that has all of the amino acids, whey, and creatine. I know they advertise really hard in M&F which actually makes me a little more skeptical, but all the reviews that I have read online say good things. Any experience with it? Also, six star whey?....that's the brand name?...I'll check it out, thanks ironman. That's actually what one of the guards here was telling me I should do. They also said that I should play football, as I'm right at 6', weigh 240, and have some decent speed and agility. We play football out here, and they saw me play and truck everybody, and said that I put up better numbers than 95% of the football players at the college here. I thought about trying out, but I think I'll be too far along, as I'll only have like 1 class left at my school before I'm finished with my B.A., and I don't think they would want to take a senior to start, as they wouldn't have the opportunity to develop me into what they want, espescially since the school I am attending is a pac-10 school.

I don't know much at all about the powerlifting scene, although my uncle lifted on the police and fire circuit, and I have a couple of guards that I was cool with that were doing the same thing. Most of them all 'roided though. I haven't even ever taken supplements before, so I don't know how I'd fare. I don't have any perspective at all about how strong I am in comparison with the rest of the world because I'm now 23 and have been locked up since I was 16. Everyone tells me I'm strong and big, but as I've said, I just feel like the big fish in the little bowl, simply because of that lack of perspective.

I'm excited to try supplements though, see if it generates new growth at all.

Ironmaiden, why not animal paks? I've only ever heard good things about them. Are thermogenics a good idea if possible? Or just stick to creatine and whey to start with? Assuming that at some point i could get thermogenics...?

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Don't buy nitrotech either. Buy ON gold standard.

There is no vitamin/ vitamin pack on the planet that has more calcium than that one (2g). That means that no other minerals in that pack will get absorbed including the calcium.

Thermogenicsare fine if your cutting. Don't use if on a bulking routine since that is very counter productive.

Creatine and whey would be a good start. Micronized creatine mono

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:15 pm

The reason I was looking at Nitrotech is because it's one of the only whey proteins I can find that has creatine added. I haven't yet checked out Ironman's suggestion, but I intend on doing so right now. I looked at the ON Gold standard, and that's been recommended to me before. Also, the fact that Nitrotech has all of the aminos in it too helps, as my recovery time seems to be lagging lately. If I hit hard, sometimes I'm not ready to go again on the same muscle for a week or so. My bench, for instance, won't be as strong a week later unless a give it a couple extra days. One day I got 425 up when I was feeling good, but on average, I can usually only get 405 up. If I don't give myself enough recovery, some days I'll be hard pressed to get that, and even something like 365 feels heavy.

So I want the aminos to boost my recovery time, the creatine to give me the extra couple reps of push and the whey so I don't have to walk around with my stomach sticking out because I've eaten two dozen eggs that day. I end up gaining some unwanted body fat because of having to consume so much food to keep up with my nutritional needs.

Halfbreed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Halfbreed » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:30 pm

Ok, so I checked out the six star whey, and it was exactly the same thing as the nitrotech, in terms of what it has in it....all the aminos, the whey, and the creatine. I am thinking about getting a GNC gold card, to save money, but I only see the six star in a 2lb container, which is super small...Does it come bigger at wal mart?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:17 pm

I think that is the standard size for whey.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:00 pm

Glad to have you back.

I think if you boiled it all down, everyone is basically telling you to take creatine, protein and a good multi vitamin. Everything else is just junk.