I'm so bored with food! I need chocolate!!

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm so bored with food! I need chocolate!!

Post by Helena115 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Okay, I'm trying to change my eating habits to where I'm not loading up on chocolate at night. I'm also cutting out all fast carbs with and after dinner (no bread, rice, sugar etc.) and it's BORING. I like to eat chocolate after dinner. I want garlic bread. I want homemade mashed potatoes with lots of butter. Can someone give me some suggestions of healthy GOOD food that won't bore me to death? Eating is no fun anymore. Except breakfast, I love eggs and eat two every morning. But then the fun stops.

I'm in desperate need of some food-inspiration. Anyone? :cool:

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon May 04, 2009 3:55 pm

berries with cream,
Dark chocolate (1 oz, 85% cocoa)
Chile

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon May 04, 2009 4:25 pm

you should eat to live, not live to eat.

and a little bit of chocolat isnt that bad.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon May 04, 2009 7:41 pm

stuward wrote:Dark chocolate (1 oz, 85% cocoa)
I eat a lot of 85% dark chocolate - Lindt is my personal favorite.

A good mashed potato substitute is cauliflower, which grinds up well and can be spiced just like mashed potatoes. They aren't quite the same, and the texture is different, but the taste is really close. I'd check out more squashes, too - winter squash and pumpkin are great veggies to get into, they also spice up well and aren't very starchy at all, especially compared to white potatoes. They're also nutrient dense.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon May 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Chocolate flavored whey?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon May 04, 2009 8:42 pm

What I like to do is constant experimentation with vegetable combinations and various dressings. I look in my pantry, and freezer, and fridge to see what I have available, and use enough of it to make a combination that will last me for a couple of days kept in the refridgerator. I don't have time to whip something up eerytime I want to eat, so I do it in bulk so to speak. Tonights throw together was 2 cans Italian green beans, 1 can shelley beans, 1/2 cup garbano beans, some blanched carrots, chopped, 4 chopped up roma tomatoes, and a half cup up chopped up green spanish manzanilla olives, dressed lightly with olive oil, and lemon juice. Next time I eat it, I may take a portion of feta cheese and add it, or dress it with bleu cheese or tzatziki. It's different every time I throw one of these "k-word sink" combos together. For a snack, I might take a bit of this and toss in some leftover cooked meat. Fills me up, and keeps me satisfied, and yes, I do occasionally have a milkshake, but it's been about two of them in the past 6 months. I'm just so fond of veg combos with different experimental dressings, I don't crave them. I think I saw in your other posts, that you (the OP Helana) are a bit light on fat. Just watch it, but fat is NOT your enemy. Just watch total fat intake.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue May 05, 2009 1:07 am

And have a small portion of mashed potatoes occasionally, with butter. Or garlic bread once in a while. Just not a lot, and not frequently.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Tue May 05, 2009 12:55 pm

I limit my chocolate intake to ice cream. I buy a pint each weekend if I dont cheat otherwise that week.

As for mashed potatos I eat as much of those as I want, on thanksgiving and christmas. Otherwise not at all.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the replies :smile: I'm going to have to try to vary my veggies a bit more. Not easy here in Sweden in the winter time as most veggies are imported and a) expensive and b) not very flavorful. I think I need to move south :green: Or, just buy frozen veggies. :cool:

Anyhow. When I cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatos, it seems like I'm way high on fats and I have to really try to increase my protein and eat a cartload of leafy greens or something to balance out the ratios. For example, yesterday this is what I ended up with: fat 51% (!), protein 27% and carbs 22%. Total calories about 1600. Today looks a bit better, fat 42%, protein 31% and carbs 27%. Total calories about 1800. I crammed in a whole can of tuna for lunch instead of my usual half a can, and I squeezed in an extra eggwhite in my omelet for dinner.

I do love beans in all shapes and colors. How are they, carb-wise? Pretty slow, right?

Oh, and pdellorto, I love Lindt's chocolate! Either 70 or 85%. Good stuff.

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue May 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Beans, and legumes in general, are pretty slow. They're carb dense, but because of the physical makeup, they're full of a gummy fiber, which in turn slows things down. I wouldn't recommend sitting down and eating a large bowl full, but used in moderation, they're great, at least IMHO. Most of my "k-word sink" throw togethers have some type of bean in there, if mot multiples, I just don't use a lot.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 pm

They make sugar free chocolate. Look in the diabetic section.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:33 am

Ironman wrote:They make sugar free chocolate. Look in the diabetic section.
Do they pack it full of xylitol and sucralose?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat May 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Some of it has sucralose. Mostly it uses malitol though. There are just a couple caveats with malitol. First as a sugar alcohol, there is a small impact on blood sugar. Probably less then a quarter of sugar's impact, but it's not 0. So it's good to add a little to the net carbs. Also eating more than the recommended serving will cause gas. Eating it to excess will have you in the bathroom for quite a while. So you still have to eat it in moderation.