If someone is a vegan...

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed May 20, 2009 12:55 pm

There is something you can do - buy free-range organic.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 am

Carnivores are not a very good source of nutrition. That is a much better reason not to eat dogs and cats. Herbivorous animals are much more nutritious.

Genetically engineered ugly animals made me lol.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu May 21, 2009 3:07 pm

frogbyte wrote:There is something you can do - buy free-range organic.
The problem is this stuff tends to be twice or even three times as expensive. I do not have an unlimited budget (ok I am poor).

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Thu May 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Rucifer wrote:
frogbyte wrote:There is something you can do - buy free-range organic.
The problem is this stuff tends to be twice or even three times as expensive. I do not have an unlimited budget (ok I am poor).
Yeah that is annoying. Healthy food is always more expensive. Since switching to a healthier diet, my cost of food has probably gone up 5x.

anandsr21
Novice
Novice

Post by anandsr21 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:50 am

The main problem with Vegans is Omega3.

They have pretty much no decent source of Omega 3. Vegetarians can at least hopefully get Pastured butter. They might have to add a lot of flaxseeds, which is not entirely a very healthy choice. Another option is to add Mustard oil, which is not entirely palatable to a lot of people. Another option is Canola, still not very good.

They should get a lot of supplementation. Zinc and B12 are a necessity, other than the regular D3/K2/magnesium/iodine.

Protein is not that much of a problem, as all plant matter contains protein, although in a smaller quantity. Just don't fill yourself with potatoes, and you should be fine.

A good choice is to get into traditional foods, like Idly Dosa (South Indian) and Tortillas/beans (Mexican). Idly Dosa in particular are made from fermented rice and lentils which means that there are less harmful lectins, and bio-availability of minerals is much more. These are also protein balanced.

I hope she is not a raw foodist Vegan ;-). That would be entirely stupid^Hinsane^H.

As long as she is running, and she has lots of coconut/olive/avocado oil, with decent supplementation. She should be fine. Running does burn a lot of glycogen, so that carbs will not be that big a problem if tempered with enough fats.