egg whites international

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri May 22, 2009 8:25 am

i vary a lot with my egg intake. some weeks i rip through a dozen in two days. other weeks i'll eat a lot of tuna or peanut butter. i told my gf we are going to start buying two dozen.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:33 am

I love eggs. I think I could live off of eggs, beans, cheese and chocolate. I have two hard-boiled or scrambled eggs for breakfast every day. Good stuff. On the weekends I add some bacon. Mmmm. And a good cheese omelet? Can't beat it. Especially if you mix some chopped spinach in the eggmix, and when it's cooked you add sliced tomato with olive oil (and the cheese of course). Goooood stuff.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 22, 2009 11:45 am

I think eggs are probably the closest thing to a perfect food that there is. It's odd though, I saw a brochure encouraging egg consumption saying it was time to break some myths. Basically they said there was nothing wrong with 1 egg/day. At the same time they recommended replacing saturated fats with vegetable oils. Are the people trying to sell eggs stupid? They should be riding the low carb/real food train like there was no tomorrow.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Yeah, really. Commercials touting eggs as a "real whole food" and goofing on egg-white only items and egg substitutes write themselves.

It'd eventually lead to commercials talking about white bread as "real whole food" too, though. But still...

anandsr21
Novice
Novice

Post by anandsr21 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:30 am

I somehow don't think that Eggs can be the perfect food. After all our ancestors couldn't have been getting too many eggs regularly.

I believe they are an acceptable alternative to meat, but we shouldn't take it to extremes. I think with eggs there could be a too much of a good thing.

Many people have egg allergies. That must point to somewhere.

I also go through almost 2 dozen eggs a week. I eat 3 per day, mostly fried or omelet in butter. Sometimes scrambled. Ever since I learned about the virtues of fat, I have stopped boiling the thing. I love it better other ways. I still would not subsist only on eggs.

devadiva
n00b
n00b

Post by devadiva » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:39 pm

I eat six egg whites with a mix of spinch brocoli, muchrooms,green onions and tomatos every morning. I cut the vegs up twice a week and break the eggs daily doesn't take any time keeps me full only has about 170 cals LOTS vitimins and protien!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 am

devadiva wrote:I eat six egg whites with a mix of spinch brocoli, muchrooms,green onions and tomatos every morning. I cut the vegs up twice a week and break the eggs daily doesn't take any time keeps me full only has about 170 cals LOTS vitimins and protien!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why waste the yolk? There a lot of good nutrition in the yolks, including essential fats, vitamins, etc.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF FAT!!!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:06 am

anandsr21 wrote:I somehow don't think that Eggs can be the perfect food. After all our ancestors couldn't have been getting too many eggs regularly.

I believe they are an acceptable alternative to meat, but we shouldn't take it to extremes. I think with eggs there could be a too much of a good thing.

Many people have egg allergies. That must point to somewhere.

I also go through almost 2 dozen eggs a week. I eat 3 per day, mostly fried or omelet in butter. Sometimes scrambled. Ever since I learned about the virtues of fat, I have stopped boiling the thing. I love it better other ways. I still would not subsist only on eggs.
It just points to people having allergies. You need meat too, but eggs do happen to have lots of good stuff we need. There is no such thing as too much unless you eat until you make yourself sick.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:40 am

anandsr21 wrote:I somehow don't think that Eggs can be the perfect food. After all our ancestors couldn't have been getting too many eggs regularly...
I think it's likely that whenever our ancestors found eggs, they ate them, whole and raw. I would expect it kept them going between major kills. It's highly unlikely that they ever threw away the yolks.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:39 am

I eat 10 eggs on lift day and 5 on day off, except on the weekends.

4 yolks in the morning
4 egg whites post workout
and 6 whole eggs as snacks throughout the day

I still have high LDL and choresterol in my blood test results (well, they're already high before I eat like this). I know eggs are good, but do I consume it too much?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:08 am

High Cholestrol is not a bad thing. You need it to be healthy. HDLs are protective. The problem is largely due to the calculation of LDL. It's expecnsive to measure LDLs directly so they're usually calculated. The trouble is, for people with low triglicerides, it's usually calculated wrong.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weig ... -the-myth/
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... lator.html

devadiva
n00b
n00b

Post by devadiva » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:21 pm

The answer to why waste the yokes is calories That is where the calories are a whole egg has 100 the white has 17 and you get the majority of the protien reom the white. Some of us have to be concered about CALORIES!!!!

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:25 pm

devadiva wrote:The answer to why waste the yokes is calories That is where the calories are a whole egg has 100 the white has 17 and you get the majority of the protien reom the white. Some of us have to be concered about CALORIES!!!!
The calories in the yolk come from protein and fat. The yolk is very filling so in small quantities can actually help you limit your calorie intake. Those wanting to put on weight, and virtually anyone eating a dozen eggs a day are in that group, is not concerned with the calories.

A whole egg is certainly better for you than a piece of whole wheat toast with margarine, or a bowl of Special K.

1 large egg has 6.3 g protein, 4.5 g fat and 75 calories. In the egg yolk is 2.7 grams of protein, 4.1 grams of fat and 55 calories and most of the nutrients.

http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/ ... /Food.aspx

devadiva
n00b
n00b

Post by devadiva » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:40 pm

I don't know if this sight is only for men but i am a women and I am 57 I can only eat 13oo calories a day which doen't give you much room to play with to get all you need to eat in a day!!!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:07 pm

devadiva wrote:I don't know if this sight is only for men but i am a women and I am 57 I can only eat 13oo calories a day which doen't give you much room to play with to get all you need to eat in a day!!!
We don't have very many women here, but there are a few. this site is for everyone, not just men. Eating only 1300 calories is your problem. That is a starvation diet. Also raw calories are WAY overrated.

What you should do is make a thread to post your diet and stats. Then we can help you adjust it. It is going to boil down to a decrease in carbs and a small initial increase in calories. Then you will increase your intake a little at a time until you are no longer starving yourself. Starving does not work for long term weight loss and leads to binge eating.