Help needed

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

rscott0812
n00b
n00b

Help needed

Post by rscott0812 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Okay, so I need some help. Being summer time, I have finally found the time to dedicate to going to the gym. In grad school, it's tough to find the time while classes are in session.

Anyway, my goal as been to increase muscle and lose body fat. So far so good, so in combining weight training, HIIT, and weight lifting (not all on the same day, of course), my appetite has gone through the roof. While I know it's important to give my body the fuel it needs, I feel it is getting in the way of my fat loss goal. I would say 95% of the time I eat well (fruits, veggies, good fats, etc.).

Are there any recommendations of ways to suppress appetite, healthy snacks that won't hinder progress, etc? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Protein...meat/eggs...to a lesser extent nuts. And high fiber foods. That's what worked for me. As far as snacks there's beef jerky. And almonds. Just don't go for highly sugared of either.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Along those same lines, protein, fat and fibre will all satisfy your hunger without causing cravings for more food. Carbs, especially highly refined carbs, will cause cravings for more food. Likewise, MSG added to food, will increase appetite. MSG is in most processed foods and most restaurant food. The suggestions Rucifer gave should avoid this.

rscott0812
n00b
n00b

Post by rscott0812 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks, i do appreciate both of your input

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:59 pm

One other thing you might consider...try to keep your mind occupied. Generally when I am bored is when I just want to eat and eat and eat endlessly. One of those mind over matter things. If you don't think your hungry then you won't be!

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 pm

Rucifer wrote:One other thing you might consider...try to keep your mind occupied.
Yup.....when I sit/lay around I wind up looking for something to eat. And it usually winds up being something not so good for me.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:14 am

I find when I eat a high fat meal, I can go longer than usual.

I don't get that "Full" feeling too, I just feel nourished enough so I don't have to eat for a long time.