tips to curb evening hunger?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

bigwill
n00b
n00b

tips to curb evening hunger?

Post by bigwill » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:48 pm

been hitting the gym reguarly for some time now since i'm trying to lose fat and build a bit of muscle till uni in october.

my diet for it so far has been pretty good - essentially low carb, and i've been reducing portion sizes by snacking on nuts between meals so i don't get massive hunger pangs and overeat during main meals

that's until the evening. around 6 in the evening i have these gigantic urges to eat, and even when i have a moderately-sized dinner i still feel hungry; its a massive urge not to grab some bread lying around or finish the stupidly high-GI risotto lying in the fridge (i'm even thinking about it now lol :P)

my primary aim is to lose body fat, and the idea of a low carb diet is that by eating protein and a moderate amount of fats (eg in nuts) i end up eating less than if i ate lots of carbs (also taking into account the thermic effect of protein etc).

how can i stop this evening hunger? cheers for any pointers

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:41 pm

So, why are you eating risotto to begin with?

I find that eating non-paleo grains makes me hungrier as well. After a carb-cycle meal (which I've been doing weekly) I feel mentally hungry even when I'm physically too full to eat any more.

bigwill
n00b
n00b

Post by bigwill » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:58 pm

frogbyte wrote:So, why are you eating risotto to begin with?

I find that eating non-paleo grains makes me hungrier as well. After a carb-cycle meal (which I've been doing weekly) I feel mentally hungry even when I'm physically too full to eat any more.
my fault, my message was a bit ambigous - i didn't actually eat the risotto my rents just made it after i ate.

when you eat low carb, if you feel hungry afterwards what do you do to curb it?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Cottage Cheese...

A bowl of Broccoli and spinach

Steak

I would just eat any of those...

Whey shake maybe?

Just tossing ideas out there.

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:23 pm

nygmen wrote:Cottage Cheese...
I have this with fresh blueberries almost every night...

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Cold cut meat? chicken or turkey with some olive oil on top, plus vegetables. Pretty quick and simple meal

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

I usually mix a meat mixture with about 2/3 more in volume of fibrous veg, usually broccolli, green beans or something similar. I season it to taste good, and the veg volume keeps me full. If I get hungry after that, I usually do some nuts or cheese, but from my perspective, if I eat enough veg, dressed with some olive oil in the meal, I usually won't get hungry
Tim

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Like I said in another post...try to keep your mind occupied/yourself busy. Call and chat with someone on the phone. Go rent a movie. Buy some computer games that involve some thought process (though Diablo 2 is a fun game for instance but when I was younger I could eat entire meals playing the game). Sometimes you just eat cause your bored, not because your hungry. Just do something.

bigwill
n00b
n00b

Post by bigwill » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:51 am

these are all really great ideas, thanks loads. i'll see how i go over the next few days and tell you how they work out, cheers :)

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:06 am

I literally grab whatever's in the fridge that isn't carbs. Ham, cheese, olives, cottage cheese, left over meat or protein shake etc. I just make a random feast of things really or make it into a salad. A caesin shake right before bed always keeps my stomach full.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:18 pm

bigwill wrote:when you eat low carb, if you feel hungry afterwards what do you do to curb it?
I eat more. Although, in reality, I don't think that's ever happened. Usually by the time I get to the last few reps, er, bites of my 1 pound of veggies I start to really slow down.

That 1 pound is arbitrary, but lots of veggies comes in 1 pound bags - usually with a statement about how it contains 15 servings or something. Ha.

jenny1980

Post by jenny1980 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 pm

I too am on a lower carb eating plan and the evenings are the WORST times for me. But the suggestions have been great:

cottage cheese
lunchmeat with cheese
whey shake

etc

Good luck!

Jenny

~~~~~~
spam link (removed)

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Jenny1980 wins the spammer of the year award. Not only did she come here and sign up manually to get around the script blocking. She also waited for the confirmation e-mail. I had been delaying this for at least a few hours, because sometimes you get spammed if you do it right after the sign up. After she got the sign up e-mail, she not only logged in and dropped her payload, but she actually made a coherent on topic post that looks just like a typical user. The English was good too. In 15 years of internet usage, this is the first time I have seen such a thing. So I have to leave this post.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:13 pm

She is from Mexico. So only half credit on the good English. Spanish to English is easy. 90%+ of spammers are from APNIC by the way, Asia/Pacific network.

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:20 pm

big salad, late at night, has helped me avoid any diet cheating for last 5 months. Went from 230 to 168.