type of olive oil??

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

aman
Novice
Novice

type of olive oil??

Post by aman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:04 am

Are we talking extra virgin olive oil or olive oil? Which one is recommended for this use?

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:13 am

For what use?

I use olive oil to cook, extra virgin olive oil when I need post-cooking flavor.

You have to be careful with olive oil, it can't get to hot - if it starts to smoke or change color, you're reducing its nutritional value.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:30 am

I never fry olive oil, the only fat stable at high temps is saturated fat.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:52 am

I fry with olive oil all the time, I just don't let it get too hot - no smoke, no sizzle. It's easily doable. Get it hot enough to swish around the pan like it's water, and then add the food, and don't use maximal heat. Works just fine.

Looking at the other thread, sounds like you mean to mix in a shake. I'd use something with minimal flavor - avoid extra virgin, it's got a very strong taste and it won't help a chocolate shake out much...

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:57 pm

The "extra virgin" refers to the fact that it is cold pressed, with as little refinement as possible. It is not recommende to sautee with, because of smoking points, and probably more importantly because it is way expensive. Straight olive oils have a much more mild flavor, are a bit more processed, and cheaper. Use your extra virgin for use drizzled on foods straight from the bottle. As to putting it in shakes, well, you could, but if the flavor is too strong, go with a more neutral type of oil that is cold pressed as well. You can find several. I keep a bottle of "Udo's Choice" in the fridge A blend of omega 9's, 6's, and 3's in proportionality. Do a search on Edo Eurasmus - Fats that heal, Fats that kill.
Tim

aman
Novice
Novice

Post by aman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:35 am

yeah, i actually wanted to know what type is best suited to add to the shake?

Thanks.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:39 am

I use Bertolli Extra Light Tasting olive oil.