Vegetable stuff

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Vegetable stuff

Post by jml » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:52 pm

So at this point my diet includes a lot of protein and fat, and a reasonable amount of carbs. However, vegetables have always been a problem for me. I know you're supposed to eat a couple servings a day, but I usually end up not eating any.
So I just wanted to know how you guys get your vegetables/what vegetables you like or at least can stand to eat.
Also, when you saute or prepare vegetables in some other way, do they lose most of their benefits?
Should I worry about this too much?

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:31 am

Carrots, I eat them raw and they taste good.
Salads are good especially with olive oil dressing.
Broccoli I just eat with veg dip.
green peppers I eat raw, their zesty.

cooking does destroy some of the nutrients in vegetables, anything for that matter.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:48 am

I wouldn't worry about lightly steaming veg, most of the nutrition is left intact. It's boiling the heck out of them you need to avoid. Just go until they're tender. Most veg are very good raw and that is the preferred way to eat them. Be sure to include some fat with them, butter or olive oil are best. Sour cream is good too. The fat makes the nutrients more available to the body. It also improves the flavor.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:49 am

I cook broccoli, green beans and peas mainly in olive oil. But at a fairly low temperature, and try not to ever let them start to brown.