Crappy foods for more calories

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Crappy foods for more calories

Post by jml » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:36 am

So I'm trying to eat buttloads of calories, as recommened in SS (of course high in protein and fat)
I was thinking, hey, a bk double cheeseburger has like 30 g protein and 30 g fat, plus its $1. Would fast food burgers actually be a legit thing to eat for trying to gain weight? (not as a main food, of course)

Of course, a bk double cheeseburger also has 30 g of probably crappy carbs, some trans fat, and like 90 mg cholesterol

what do you guys think?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:05 am

I'm sure others will disagree with my opinion, but if you're just trying to stack on lbs, and are using a good weight program, and don't particularly care about the nutrition nazis warnings about red meat, high fat, etc, etc, , I think a bunch of them would do wonders. Back in the day, good ole hheseburgers were a mainstay for bulking.
Tim

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:35 am

i would agree completely with Tim, fair enough nutritionally there's probably not a lot of good in 'em, but who wants to be healthy all the time? Eat loads of junk til you get big then, if you need to, diet to get rid of any fat you might've put on - which might not even be all that much depending on your metabolism. I personally have always been very lean so have never stressed too much over eating "cheat" foods.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:25 pm

TimD wrote:I'm sure others will disagree with my opinion, but if you're just trying to stack on lbs, and are using a good weight program, and don't particularly care about the nutrition nazis warnings about red meat, high fat, etc, etc, , I think a bunch of them would do wonders. Back in the day, good ole hheseburgers were a mainstay for bulking.
Tim
Tim,

Nutrition Nazis...yea, I am stealing that phrase from you. Don't worry, you get credit.

I am on board with Tim for the most part.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:25 pm

TimD wrote:I'm sure others will disagree with my opinion, but if you're just trying to stack on lbs, and are using a good weight program, and don't particularly care about the nutrition nazis warnings about red meat, high fat, etc, etc, , I think a bunch of them would do wonders. Back in the day, good ole hheseburgers were a mainstay for bulking.
Tim
Tim,

"Nutrition Nazis"...yea, I am stealing that phrase from you. Don't worry, you get credit.

I am on board with Tim for the most part.

Kenny Croxdale

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm with Tim too.

Just don't be a dumbass and live off it. Use your brain and you'll be fine.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:58 pm

nygmen wrote:Just don't be a dumbass and live off it. Use your brain and you'll be fine.
Yeah. I'd say:

- Try to get as much quality nutrition in you as you can. Use the crap to fill in the gaps rather than the other way around.

- Don't consider this a license to eat whatever you want whenever you want in whatever quantities you want. The people who do that get plenty big, but not the big you want.

- As soon as you can stop packing in the crap foods, do so. Consider it short-term nutritional overreaching.

But yeah, eat a few $1 double cheeseburgers man. What the hell. When you're trying to gain, you'd be foolish to short yourself calories in the name of "clean eating." You need to EAT first, and then sort out the clean part. Just, like I said, don't go insane with it and you'll be fine.

jml
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jml » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:27 pm

alright. I guess I wont feel bad if I eat one or two a week.
Thanks

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Seems fine calorically - the bad part is all the weird chemicals - too bad all fast food is soaked in MSG.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:05 am

Try SPAM!

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 am

I was waiting for hoosegow to chime in, but since he's not:

Twizzlers

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:40 pm

frogbyte, this thread is about CRAPPY foods, not miracle foods.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Hoosegow...you are so witty...I am simply in awe posting next to you :eek:

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Wait, what? I'm thinking Rucifer just took a jab at me. Sorry bud. I'll lay off the lame ass jokes.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Far from it. I seriously LOLed at your post. I think people take nutrition and fitness far too seriously sometimes, and you're posts are sort of a comic relief for it all :green: