Does Creatine Expire?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

drummaniac
Rookie
Rookie

Does Creatine Expire?

Post by drummaniac » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 pm

So I bought some creatine a while ago and it went bad in November. I took it all through the month of November and didn't get any stomach aches or anything. I'm just wondering if anyone has read anything or knows facts about creatine expiring? I've googled in myself and pretty much came up with it will lose effectiveness and might make you feel like crap. But like I said I took it (not that long after it expired) and felt ok but can't find any facts on if it actually loses effectiveness. Just wondering what you guys might know. Thanks.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:09 pm

it will degrade, lose effectiveness.

drummaniac
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drummaniac » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Any idea of how soon? Would it be worth taking it for a couple of months or should I toss it?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am

Ctreatine monohydrate will decay into Creatinine over time. Depending on the formulation, it can take 18-36 months to reach some reference level of Creatinine which would indicate it's "gone bad". It's a gradual process but Creatinine in high doses is toxic. This is more of an issue with serums. Creatine is so cheap that I would just throw it out and get a new supply.