I really just don't get it.

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

xshawnxearthx

I really just don't get it.

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:12 pm

if i eat well, i have very sticky, hard to clean poop. most of the time i need to take a shower after and clean the toilet when i'm done.

if i eat like $h1t, the poop just comes right out, no big clean up, no need to clean the toilet.

i drink 6 quarts of water a day(based on my size).
i eat balanced meals with plenty of protein, starch and veggies.
my snacks are healthy. usually raw veggies with hummus or peanut butter.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Just to be clear, you're putting all those legumes in the "eat well" category?

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:20 pm

what's wrong with hummus and peanut butter?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Legumes could contribute, but I think it's a combination of high fat content, raw vegetables and soluble fibre. Any time you change your diet, it will have an impact in your stools. The best bet it to make changes to your diet gradually. Try increasing gradually the amount of insoluble fibre (oats, brown rice, wholegrains, etc.) Fermented foods and probiotics will likely help as well.

This could be a symptom of IBS or colon cancer so if it persists, you may want to talk to your doctor.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:34 pm

xshawnxearthx wrote:what's wrong with hummus and peanut butter?
Legumes, high in soluble fibre and fat. They'e not bad, but too much can cause your symptoms.

For further reading on fibre:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041500.asp

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:01 pm

stuward wrote:Legumes could contribute, but I think it's a combination of high fat content, raw vegetables and soluble fibre. Any time you change your diet, it will have an impact in your stools. The best bet it to make changes to your diet gradually. Try increasing gradually the amount of insoluble fibre (oats, brown rice, wholegrains, etc.) Fermented foods and probiotics will likely help as well.

This could be a symptom of IBS or colon cancer so if it persists, you may want to talk to your doctor.
yeah, i plan to go to a gastro once my new insurance kicks in.

so i should go with more insoluble then soluble fibers?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:46 pm

xshawnxearthx wrote:
stuward wrote:Legumes could contribute, but I think it's a combination of high fat content, raw vegetables and soluble fibre. Any time you change your diet, it will have an impact in your stools. The best bet it to make changes to your diet gradually. Try increasing gradually the amount of insoluble fibre (oats, brown rice, wholegrains, etc.) Fermented foods and probiotics will likely help as well.

The balance matters. It seems you have too much soluble. Probably too much too fast. Just tweak it a little.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:12 pm

stuward wrote:
xshawnxearthx wrote:

The balance matters. It seems you have too much soluble. Probably too much too fast. Just tweak it a little.
ok, i'll try adding insoluble and see what happens.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:53 am

Throw in a couple of Twizzlers.

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Avoid coffee. Works for me.

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:07 pm

TeeBee wrote:Avoid coffee.

:eek:

healthissue4qs
n00b
n00b

Post by healthissue4qs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:26 am

Try eating papaya. It will make the outcome better and easy.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:40 am

healthissue4qs wrote:Try eating papaya. It will make the outcome better and easy.
Papaya contain pectin, a soluble fibre. If soluble fibre was causeing your problem, papaya would likely make it worse. People with laytex alergies should avoid papaya.

In general it a healthy food but might not fix this problem in the short term. It's good to prevent diarhhea though.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Is there a magical ratio of fiber that is optimum? I know its probably silly to even ask such a question but like 1:1 or something. Lately I've had the same prob as shawn.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Supplements/extracts aside I don't think it's possible to eat too much high-fiber paleo food. When I went paleo and started eating a pound of broccoli every night there was definitely a transition period of a few days though where things were a bit rumbly at times.