To Take or Not To Take (Supplements)

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Why, Bob? Your post was straight on topic.

What I think is interesting is that it seems that vary few of us are using marginal un-proven supplements. No one mentioned the expensive, commercially-prepared combination supplements like the ones so heavily promoted on certain popular web sites.

We just received some boxes that we shipped to ourselves from the US back in Juy. I'm now well-stocked on my fish oil and glucosamine.
It must be nice and fresh. Did you check to see if it was rancid yet?

bob

Post by bob » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:27 pm

I guess was regarding supplements as a catch-all term for anything additional taken with a normal diet. That's why i mentioned olive oil. But i can see now that it is really a food staple.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:11 am

Why, Bob? Your post was straight on topic.

What I think is interesting is that it seems that vary few of us are using marginal un-proven supplements. No one mentioned the expensive, commercially-prepared combination supplements like the ones so heavily promoted on certain popular web sites.

We just received some boxes that we shipped to ourselves from the US back in Juy. I'm now well-stocked on my fish oil and glucosamine.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:47 pm

I didn't mean to dis your post of olive oil. There is a fine line between supplement and food. Some people would just think of "tea" as food. But I never sip tea, although green tea is in the greens powder I drink. I also left off the Liquimins on my post - it's basically salt though.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:58 am

I think certain foods are perfectly adequate to be called a supplement. If you're consuming it for your health more than you would otherwise, it's a supplement. I picked up a bag of Dulse yesterday as a snack. Around here that's what it is. Everywhere else, they grind it up and put it in capsules. It's funny, my 45g snack cost about $1.30. A bottle of dulse capsules containing the same amount of dulse costs $22.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:12 pm

No worries. I didn't take it as a dis.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:55 pm

Multi
Fish Oil
Glucosamine (sp)

If I'm several months out from a competition, I'll use creatine mono as well. I usually have to cut it out about 8 weeks out due to water weight gain.

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Multivitamin, fish liver oil capsules, whey after workout and creatine mono.