DMSO

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Post Reply
[email protected]

DMSO

Post by [email protected] » Tue May 30, 2006 10:31 pm

I'm trying to come back from a bad RC tear. Back in the day, we used DMSO (an industrial solvent) at to break down scar tisssue and increase blood circulation. Many swore by it, but it has disappeared from the gym scene. You can still get it through a veterinary supplier on line. Has anyone had recent expereience with DMSO? Is it still a viable therapy for severe strains and pulls? I never saw any long-term studies on this product.

Drew
Novice
Novice
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:55 am

Post by Drew » Wed May 31, 2006 6:31 pm

Dimethylsulfoxide is a very good solvent, especially when it comes to traversing cellular membranes. My boss at my college job told me how some of the old-time chemists used to dissolve aspirin in DMSO and rub it on their hands for a quick fix to a headache. It takes whatever is dissolved in it into the blood and tissue more quickly than an oral dose.

Because of this, you really need to exercise caution. If there is anything harmful inadvertently dissolved in the DMSO, it will also be carried into your blood. Many of the old-timers used to use it for arthritis relief by simply rubbing it into their hands. However, it should also be pointed out that these were the same people who used to smoke in the lab around volatile solvents. Not everything they did was wise just as it wasn't necessarily bad either.

But then again, I'm not a huge fan of the FDA's ability to adequately do its job. Sorry if I seem to be jumping back and forth. There are risks and rewards associated with DMSO of which you should be aware. I won't say not to use it, but you should definitely be careful and keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary should you choose to use it.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Wed May 31, 2006 7:47 pm

From the MSDS of DMSO:
Skin Contact:
Causes irritation to skin. Symptoms include redness, itching, and pain. May cause scaling, Readily absorbed through the skin. Garlic-like taste and odor may develop on the breath and skin. Transient disturbances of color vision, photophobia, headache, diarrhea, and dermatitis may result from skin applications. A good solvent; may result in the increased skin absorption of other more toxic materials.

Chronic Exposure:
Absorption may affect the blood, Repeated skin application may cause scaling dermatitis. Repeated oral doses may effect the liver and kidneys.

11. Toxicological Information

Oral rat LD50: 14,500 mg/Kg. Irritation data (std Draize, rabbit): Skin = 500 mg/24 hour, mild; Eye = 500 mg/24 hour, mild. Investigated as a tumorigen, mutagen, reproductive effector.

Post Reply