supplaments protien powders vitamens

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

kelsea123
Rookie
Rookie

supplaments protien powders vitamens

Post by kelsea123 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:46 am

when it comes to supplements and protein powder and all of the other things you can take to help you workout is it best to workout without taking them or is it best to take them im really not sure if im asking this question right but i hope you all know what i mean . if it is best to take supplements protein powders etc. what ones are best . will i see a faster improvement in myself?

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: supplaments protien powders vitamens

Post by KenDowns » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:57 am

There is a general agreement that 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (unless you are heavily obese) per day is a good amount for somebody pushing themselves on heavy weights.

I find it hard to eat enough food to get that much protein, so I use protein powder simply as a convenience.

In this sense it is not a "supplement". I'm supposed to get that much protein anyway, but it is convenient to take the powder, makes it easier to manage my diet.

kelsea123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kelsea123 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:01 am

what about when it comes to certain types of performance enhancers are those good to take? besides protien what kind of things should i tae someone told me its not good for women to take protien powder...

kelsea123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kelsea123 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 am

or what about some kind of fat burner how good is it to take that kind of stuff

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 am

Kelsea, for your other questions I'll have to let others chime in because I take no supplements at all, except for vitamins and minerals. I take calcium because I don't get much dairy, and a multi-vitamin mostly because it can't hurt and it makes sure I've got my vitamins.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 am

Kelsea, there are many, many kinds of "supplements" and "performance enhancers" out there. Which ones are you talking about? And we know next to nothing about you, so how can we answer this kind of general question? How heavy are you? What's your body fat? What's your diet like.

Most of the supplements and performance enhancers out there are worthless, but there are a few things that have potential value for some people.

There's nothing any different about a woman using protein powder than a man using it. Is it dangerous for a woman to eat meat? Eat eggs? Drink milk? There is protein in all of those. If you are lifting heavy, and can't get enough protein in your diet, the powder is a convenient way to get what you need.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:20 am

KenDowns wrote:There is a general agreement that 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (unless you are heavily obese) per day .
I think you can get around this caveat by saying # grams per lean body mass.

And women should not take protein powder.

Nor drive.

nor have their names mentioned in an establishment that serves alcohol.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:55 pm

kelsea123,

You can get all the nutrients you need from food if you pay attention to what you eat. However, not everyone is perfect in that regard so it does make sense to supplement on nutrients you're concerned about. Extra protein will help in fat loss. It does this by preventing muscle loss while in a calorie deficit. It also is satisfying so you can eat less. If you're trying to gain weight in can help you as well, but you need more carbs and fats in order to create a calorie surplus. Notice that calorie deficit or surplus is what makes the difference between fat loss and muscle gain. Nothing you do will make a difference if that condition is not met. You can cycle through each state in order to loss fat and gain muscle at roughly the same time. My favorite protein supplement are eggs and sardines.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD