how to Shoulder Injury ?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

amelinda
former lurker

how to Shoulder Injury ?

Post by amelinda » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:37 pm

I had an injury in my Rotator cuff few months back and I stopped lifting weight until it healed. I have been back to gym for last couple of weeks and yesterday I felt some pain in the same area while doing incline bench press. I am really scared if I injured it again and would rest until it heals. My questions is, once I feel ok and go back to the gym .. how slowly I should increase up the weights I am lifting ? I am 155 lbs and used to bench press 100 lbs (3 * 15) before the injury. Any advice/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

stuward

Re: how to Shoulder Injury ?

Post by stuward » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 am

No one here can give medical advice. Check with your physical therapist for a recovery protocol.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

rjm
former lurker

Re: how to Shoulder Injury ?

Post by rjm » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:54 pm

The bench press is the most likely reason for the first injury. I’m a physical therapist and I start my patients starting back with bands and tubing. The emphasis is on muscle activation and not strength training per se.
The next progression I use is light dumbbells.
3 general rules: Any pushing or pulling is at zero degrees abduction
No overhead pressing and bench presses narrow grip only.
You may have other issues in conjunction with the RTC injury so my advice to you is to seek out a healthcare professional qualified to evaluate your shoulder and prescribe the appropriate exercises.