Sample Walking Programs

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Bowex
n00b
n00b

Sample Walking Programs

Post by Bowex » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:06 am

I did the Rockport Walk Test and then looked up the suggested Sample Walking Program. These are 20-week programs where the time and distance to be walked change each week. My question is, how often are you supposed to do these walks - every day, every other day?

Thank you very much for the website, what a magnificent resource.

PanicJacob
n00b
n00b

Re: Sample Walking Programs

Post by PanicJacob » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:45 am

Hey Bowex! I think the program says that the listed distance and speed is what you're supposed to do for every session, so how many days a week is up to you. For example, the blue program starts with a 1 mile walk at 3mph (so a 20 minute walk) in week 1, so I don't think daily would be a bad start, but if you find that this is too much for you then do what you can each week, making sure to build up the next week. So if you can only walk for 10 minutes straight or can only walk half a mile in 20 minutes, that's just fine, work up from there. As always, be sure to talk to a physician before starting any exercise program.

Bowex
n00b
n00b

Post by Bowex » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks for the reply PanicJacob, I'm guessing these Walking Programs should be done 3-4 times a week, or daily for better results: 3-4 times a week is the frequency indicated on the Sample Jog-Walk programs in the section on Aerobic Conditioning.

PanicJacob
n00b
n00b

Post by PanicJacob » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:44 am

Oh awesome! I didn't think about looking at that section. Have you been performing the walking program? How are you feeling now?

Bowex
n00b
n00b

Post by Bowex » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:54 am

I had been going to the gym for the last few years for basic strength and flexibility classes. At the beginning of March I caught Covid19 so after that and the lock-down I was looking for easy and measurable cardiovascular exercises. I had been walking everyday but I was looking for some structure. One of the gym’s class teachers told me to get a heart rate monitor and put me on PHA circuit training, which seems to have worked well.

For the walking program I’ve just started, so too early to tell, I’ll let you know how I get on.