middle ager moving from machines to free weights

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

big tim
n00b
n00b

middle ager moving from machines to free weights

Post by big tim » Sun May 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Started lifting at 50 years old using machines for safety. At 6'4" and many pounds, I don't fit in the machines too well. Outgrowing the max plates on the lower body machines. Soooo, I'll have to get smart on free weights and head to a different area of the gym.

Question: If I can spend 20 minutes lifting 6 days a week, what are the best exercises to build a workout plan from? I've seen the hoosegow post "The be all and end all of all training advice"
  • Squat
  • Bench
  • Deadlift
  • Overhead Press
  • Row
  • Chins
But I'm looking for maybe a three day rotation that I can accomplish, ideally without a spotter.

I would assume that there exists a canned approach to reasonably full-body exercise? I'm having a hard time choosing from all of the potential exercises. Thanks. BT

stuward

Re: middle ager moving from machines to free weights

Post by stuward » Sun May 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Those 6 movements are the basis for many great programs. I would add in a carry, like farmers walks to tie everything together.

The main site has this page to kelp you program it. https://exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu

There are many ways to split this up. Staring out I would suggest doing 1 push, 1 pull and lower body, then the next workout, do the ones you didn't do the first workout. Some exercises like clean and jerk and muscle ups combine more than one movement. Anytime you can do that, you can same time.

Then there always the old standbys, Starting Stength, Stronglifts, 5-3-1, etc. Those will all work.

Make sure you work withing your recovery capabilities. Many people either work out too hard or not hard enough. It's a balance and requires listening to your body.
ideally without a spotter.
I rarely use spotters. If you're working close to failure on a lift that will land on you, like a squat or press, do it inside a squat cage.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD