Mixing up kettlebells and dumbbells

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

histing
former lurker

Mixing up kettlebells and dumbbells

Post by histing » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:34 am

I'm looking for some advice. I've really been wanting to mix things up a little. I've really wanted to try kettlebells, and I really enjoy dumbbells. So, I thought I would try to construct a routine to try for 2 or 3 months. I was thinking of something like this:

Sunday - Dumbbell lower (heavier)
Monday - Kettlebell upper
Tuesday - Jogging
Wednesday - Dumbbell upper (heavier)
Thursday - Kettlebell lower
Friday - Off
Saturday - Light jog

However, I'm having a really hard time figuring out what a good upper and lower routine would be for kettlebells. I have literally read dozens of links but I still don't know how to put something together.

I'm moderately fit and have worked out most of my life. I have one 35lbs bell, and one 45lbs bell.

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

EDIT: I guess a goal would help. I need to cut some fat and put on muscle. I realize that's probably so generic its laughable, but it does fit the bill!

stuward

Re: Mixing up kettlebells and dumbbells

Post by stuward » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Kettlebells have a huge skill component. They also a different effect than traditional strength training. Over time, you will see improvements in movement quality and endurance as well as strength. You can certainly structure your workouts as you suggest, however, in order to improve at skill related tasks, it's better to train at them frequently. Perhaps incorporate the kettlebells into your daily warmups, and then follow that with targeted strength exercises.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD