i need help, please !

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

sandwichee
former lurker

i need help, please !

Post by sandwichee » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:30 am

I feel like my question can be easily answered but I really can't figure out why. To start, i'm 18, 5'11, 155lbs, a 400m/800m runner, and have been paying attention to weightlifting for about 11 months. Since last July, I have been trying to find a general strength program for my off-season and also in-season. Since July, i've been following this program given to me:
Workout A:
Squat 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Bench 3-5 sets of 5 reps
RDL or Hamstring Curl 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps
DB Row 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps

Workout B:
Deadlift 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Overhead Press 3-5 sets of 5 reps
Leg Press 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps
Pullups 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps

Rotate on a M/W/F plan.

As far as a long term plan:

XC season: 3 days a week, 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps. Vary the exercises to some degree. Example: Do the back squat twice a week and the front squat on the third day. Do a flat bench on Monday, incline on Wednesday, decline on Friday. Lookup Deadlift variations.
Winter: Workout A/Workout B rotation as depicted above.
Spring/Track: Lift only twice a week but incorporate plyometics. Do plyometrics first, then your primary exercises. Do secondary exercises only if you have time.
Now, the question just occurred to me recently - why am I lifting higher reps during the off-season? Shouldn't I be lifting for strength all the time if I'm a 400m/800m runner? Is it a peaking issue?