Training for new US Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Jabrones
former lurker

Training for new US Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT)

Post by Jabrones » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:41 pm

I'm looking for some guidance toward a simple routine to help me prepare to do well on the army's new fitness test. The passing minimums are determined by occupational category requirements (moderate, significant and heavy). My job in the army puts me in a 'significant' category, but I'd like to do the best I can. If anyone can suggest how to prepare, that'd be great. I'll list out here the test events and minimum scores needed per category.
  1. Strength Deadlift (hex bar): With a proposed weight range of 120 to 420 pounds, the deadlift portion of the ACFT will require soldiers to perform a three-repetition maximum deadlift. 140 lbs / 180 lbs / 200 lbs.
  • Standing Power Throw: Soldiers will toss a 10-pound ball backward as far as possible to test muscular explosive power that may be needed to lift themselves or a fellow soldier up over an obstacle or while moving rapidly across uneven terrain. 4.5 m / 6.5 m / 8.0 m.
  • Hand-Release Pushups: In this event, soldiers start in the prone position and do a traditional pushup, but when at the down position they release their hands and arms from contact with the ground before resetting to do another pushup. This allows for additional upper body muscles to be challenged. 10 / 20 / 30.
  • Sprint/Drag/Carry: As they dash 25 meters five times up and down a lane, soldiers will perform sprints, drag a sled weighing 90 pounds, and then hand-carry two 40-pound kettlebell weights. This can simulate pulling a buddy out of harm's way, moving quickly to take cover, or carrying ammunition to a fighting position or vehicle. 3:00 / 2:30 / 2:10.
  • Leg Tuck: Similar to a pullup, Soldiers lift their legs up and down to touch their knees/thighs to their elbows as many times as they can. This exercise strengthens the core muscles since it doubles the amount of force required compared to a traditional sit-up. 1 / 3 / 5.
  • 2-mile Run: Same event as on the current test. In the ACFT, run scores are expected to be a bit slower due to all of the other strenuous activity. 21:00 / 19:00 / 18:00