Fitness, Health and Wellness needs ExRx

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

PanicJacob
n00b
n00b

Fitness, Health and Wellness needs ExRx

Post by PanicJacob » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:48 pm

ExRx is a treasure trove of information and study-backed processes to achieve all types of fitness goals. My go to resource for people to visit when people need information on fitness is ExRx, with the exercise library being one of the top resources available. Beginner guides, fitness programming guidelines, emphasis on understanding proper exercise technique. Honestly, I wish this site was even bigger than it is now. I think it still can as evidenced by the most recent post on this forum getting 1000+ views despite the inactivity.

Anyway, this site is great, and I hope it sees a traffic increase sometime soon.

Garrygb
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Fitness, Health and Wellness needs ExRx

Post by Garrygb » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am

Also, I would add a thread about anabolic steroids or grows hormones by https://musclesfax.org/oral-steroids.
Last edited by Garrygb on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PanicJacob
n00b
n00b

Post by PanicJacob » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:03 am

Garrygb, I personally wouldn't add a thread about anabolic steroids or growth hormones. Most individuals who would benefit from those two substances are usually high level athletes and they generally have an endocrinologist prescribing the correct dosages. The general derivative we see with steroid use is "more is better" which can have detrimental effects. In fact, large dosages of testosterone has shown to cause gynecomastia due to extra testosterone being converted to estrogen.

Even then if you believe you have a hormone issue an endocrinologist is your best bet in diagnosing that. If you end up having hormone issues then you could talk to them about increasing them. I would almost bet though that even if they are normal that you could increase them even more through healthy habits. Getting good sleep, a balanced diet that includes some dietary cholesterol (a serving of eggs would be a good source) and exercising via resistance exercise are all proven to help regulate hormone levels. Unless you have these all in good standing, which most people don't, I wouldn't even think about hormone use.

In fact here is a study that shows just how important sleep is for making preferable changes in body composition (lose fat, gain muscle):

Sleep Study: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10 ... 0050-00006

Sleep Meta-analysis w/ sleep study [ref 22]: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

Summary: 10 Individuals on a 14 day calorie restricted diet had their sleep designated for 72 hours, being only able to sleep either 5.5 hours or 8.5 hours. Individuals who slept 5.5 hours reduced fat loss by 55% and had a 60% decrease in muscle mass than the individuals who slept 8.5 hours.

So people who only slept 5.5 hours lost 60% of their muscle and kept 55% of their fat mass when compared to individuals who slept 8.5 hours while in a calorie deficit. Guessing from this, if you were to be in an excess caloric consumption, you would gain less fat and more muscle when getting proper sleep. The main point I want to make is that by doing everything you can through natural methods should be your go to process.

I do want to state that I am not a fitness or health professional, so this shouldn't be used as health advice. Always talk with your physician before making any health changes that could put you at risk of injury or worse.

PanicJacob
n00b
n00b

Post by PanicJacob » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:05 am

Garrygb wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am
Also, I would add a thread about anabolic steroids or grows hormones.
Garrygb, I personally wouldn't add a thread about anabolic steroids or growth hormones. Most individuals who would benefit from those two substances are usually high level athletes and they generally have an endocrinologist prescribing the correct dosages. The general derivative we see with steroid use is "more is better" which can have detrimental effects. In fact, large dosages of testosterone has shown to cause gynecomastia due to extra testosterone being converted to estrogen.

Even then if you believe you have a hormone issue an endocrinologist is your best bet in diagnosing that. If you end up having hormone issues then you could talk to them about increasing them. I would almost bet though that even if they are normal that you could increase them even more through healthy habits. Getting good sleep, a balanced diet that includes some dietary cholesterol (a serving of eggs would be a good source) and exercising via resistance exercise are all proven to help regulate hormone levels. Unless you have these all in good standing, which most people don't, I wouldn't even think about hormone use.

In fact here is a study that shows just how important sleep is for making preferable changes in body composition (lose fat, gain muscle):

Sleep Study: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10 ... 0050-00006

Sleep Meta-analysis w/ sleep study [ref 22]: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

Summary: 10 Individuals on a 14 day calorie restricted diet had their sleep designated for 72 hours, being only able to sleep either 5.5 hours or 8.5 hours. Individuals who slept 5.5 hours reduced fat loss by 55% and had a 60% decrease in muscle mass than the individuals who slept 8.5 hours.

So people who only slept 5.5 hours lost 60% of their muscle and kept 55% of their fat mass when compared to individuals who slept 8.5 hours while in a calorie deficit. Guessing from this, if you were to be in an excess caloric consumption, you would gain less fat and more muscle when getting proper sleep. The main point I want to make is that by doing everything you can through natural methods should be your go to process.

I do want to state that I am not a fitness or health professional, so this shouldn't be used as health advice. Always talk with your physician before making any health changes that could put you at risk of injury or worse.

PanicJacob
n00b
n00b

Post by PanicJacob » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:30 am

Garrygb wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am
Also, I would add a thread about anabolic steroids or grows hormones.
I wouldn't, most individuals will never need to use anabolic steroids or growth hormones to achieve their fitness goals. The only reason anyone should take even exogeneous testosterone would be that their endocrinologist said they had a low testosterone amount and would prescribe said testosterone. A good analogy would be trying to put nitrous in a junk car: it would help maybe a little, but could also do a lot of damage. Making sure you're exercising, sleeping well and eating a balanced diet that includes precursors that your body can use to produce hormones is the best way to make sure that you keep a healthy hormone balance.

If you don't believe me, look up this article: Nedeltcheva, A. V.; Kilkus, J. M.; Imperial, J.; Schoeller, D. A.; Penev, P. D. Insufficient Sleep Undermines Dietary Efforts to Reduce Adiposity. Annals of Internal Medicine 2010, 153 (7), 435–441.

It pretty much confirms what I said in terms of living healthy to achieve hormone balance. Individuals who slept 8.5 per day in a 72 hour range saw better fat reduction and muscle retention in a caloric deficit.

avajohn
n00b
n00b

Post by avajohn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:55 am

That why i joined ExRx, It's really helpful and informative.