int/ext hip rotators

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

skinnyman
n00b
n00b

int/ext hip rotators

Post by skinnyman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:13 am

I have been looking around for execises for the deep hip rotator muscles. I believe they are called the piriformis. Due to an injury to my hip and femur my right foot usually points in a little and sometimes when I max out on squats etc. that same leg wobbles as I go to stand back up. I have been experimenting and have found a couple of ways to work it but I am sort of worried about putting too much torque on my knee. anyone else have this sort of problem? or better yet an exercise?

standAPART
Rookie
Rookie

Post by standAPART » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:39 pm

There is a great exercise that you can do using a band placed at the knee. You stand in a "athletic stance" with tension on the band (wrapped around both legs) and you internally/externally rotated the hips.

You can see the exercise in motion in my "Free the Hips" video preview.

SEMOBEEF
former lurker

Post by SEMOBEEF » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:33 pm

here is a link to how to stretch it

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.2.html

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:58 am

Sounds like you are trying to rehab an injury. This is best done by going to a qualified PT.

skinnyman
n00b
n00b

re: qualified P/T

Post by skinnyman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:55 am

George, you are right. I would love to go to a physical therapist but alas I have no insurance. PT's are extremely expensive without it. For now, I will read and experiment on my own. Most of the damage done in the accident was rehabed by excellent PT's so I understand how important they are. The way I see it, trying to fix it myself is no different than someone saying " I have weak shoulders, what exercise should I use to strengthen them?" Also, it is not a new injury. The fact is that if I were not lifting I would probably not even notice the weakness.

standAPART, that is a good one. I'll give it a try. How is it functionally different than seated or lying abduction?