Deadlift form

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

DJDaddyK
Rookie
Rookie

Deadlift form

Post by DJDaddyK » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:11 pm

When I deadlift I put the weight all the way down and relax slightly before each rep. Is that good or bad? Thanks...
Steve

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:18 pm

Probably more towards good. A personal trainer once told me that each rep of a set of deadlifts should be done as if you were doing a single

Hoister

Post by Hoister » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:29 pm

I've injured myself twice deadlifting - both times doing the touch and go method.

For five years i have been deadlifting without problems by setting up on each rep. I literally put the weight down, stand up, walk away, come back and do the next rep. I find it safer and much more effective this way.

I do the same with squats and the oly lifts.

The only time i rep-out is with light weight.

PaulP
n00b
n00b

Post by PaulP » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:54 pm

I try to do them with slight pause at the bottom with the weight on the floor but not a bounce and go and no jerking the weight. Sometimes if I loose my groove during the set, I'll pause longer at the bottom and re-grip or whatever. I think the slight pause at the bottom effectively makes it a dead weight (from the floor) lift.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:56 pm

I like to pause. It is kind of like doing singles with a half second rest. A longer pause helps you lift more weight too.

DJDaddyK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJDaddyK » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:27 am

Thanks all...

Jeff D
Novice
Novice

Post by Jeff D » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:48 am

Hoister wrote:I've injured myself twice deadlifting - both times doing the touch and go method.
Ditto.

I take maybe 2 seconds in between, whenever ive done the touch and go ive always put myself at risk for trying to go too fast, and ending up with my back rounding and getting strained.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:59 am

Touch and go reps are only dangerous if you allow your form to suffer. Personally I've never had trouble maintaining good form, while lifting in this style. It is important however to control the weight on the way down.

It might help to think of your body as a spring. As you lower the weight the spring compresses, until the bar touches the floor. Then the spring is released and you explode back to a straight standing position.

The bar decellerates on the way down and accellerates on the way up ... just like a squat or bench press.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:01 am

PS.) The only time I ever injured myself deadlifting was a minor muscle pull suffered on the first rep pulling off the floor.

kogy
n00b
n00b

Post by kogy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi,

I've been reding your deadlift post.
One of my favorites is deadlifting, because I just like to do it. But, reading your posts, I have no idea what you were talking about, touch and go..

I always stand on step pads. Also, I try to do with heavy weights as heavy I can lift. Sometimes my back is not straight nor my legs -slightly bent- I feel more in my targeted area, upper harmstrings and butt.
What do you think? Or you have a better exercise for butt?

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:21 pm

If your doing Standard or Sumo Deadlifts you should be bending and straightening your knees, and keeping your back straight (i.e. maintaining its natural arch). If your doing straight-leg or stiff knee deadlifts you can perform them with or without spine articulation.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:10 pm

It's possible to move considerably more weight with standard and sumo deadlifts than it is with the straight-leg and stiff-knee varieties. Meanwhile, standard and sumo deadlifts are both performed off the floor (as opposed to lifting the bar off a rack).

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Any deep squating movement will work well for glutes. Just make sure to get down to at least parallel, and preferably a little bellow. Split Squats and Lunges are also good if you take a long stride and go deep.

Mog16
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mog16 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:32 pm

if you have trouble going deep on squats you can do deep 1 legged leg press, I did this the other day and my glutes are really sore (though I added crossover lunges too, which rocked the minimus and medius)