136lbs and I've stopped gaining weight

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Alex
n00b
n00b

136lbs and I've stopped gaining weight

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:31 am

I'm 18 5' 8" and I've been working out for about 8 months now, and I seem to hit a plateau. I started at the end of last year, but didn't really have the time to commit to it. This summer I had a lot more time and I started working out five to six days a week. I keep my workouts pretty short, an hour to an hour and a half, and I rotate between Arms & Shoulders, Chest and Back, and Legs. I do Abs everyother workout, independant of that cycle. I have about four exercises from which I choose two for each workout, in an effort to keep a variety of exercises going.

I do 3-5 sets of 6 reps. So 6 reps for as many sets as I can, and when I can't do that any more, I stop. When I reach 5 sets, I increase the weight next time.

Because I'm focusing on weight gain, I have done barely any cardiovascular except for my five minute warmups before listing.

In the first month of the summer I gained about five pounds, but since then my gains have slowed down dramatically, I gained only about a pound last month. I'm also increasing weights much more slowly than before. I sometimes not even increasing at all between workouts.

I've been trying to eat a lot, I have a shake with fruti, protien powder and soy milk after every workout. I try to eat as much as I can at other meals, but sometimes I feel nauseated and I can't eat any more (especially at breakfast).

I'm really frustated that I have stopped making gains. What can I do to start improving again?

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 am

I would try fewer sets of higher reps, 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps on your same exercise selection scheme and I would take a few days to rest in between each cycle of your workout
ABCXABCXXABC something like that.

Although a protein shake is good, if you arent getting enough calories from all sources, the shake and for that matter any supplement is going to be a waste of time.

Alex
n00b
n00b

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:44 pm

Thanks for the recomendation. Any reason in particular to go for more reps and fewer sets? Is that just for a change, or is that what is generally recomended for weight gain?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:59 pm

Both. Mainly it is for weight gain.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:56 am

Yes, the mass gain. Lower reps develop strength without significant bulk muscle enlargement. Higher reps will develop this more. Once you gain some size you can switch to strength for a bit, then go back and get bigger. This is the general form of periodization for a bodybuilding type program.

If you are looking for sports performance, you would had a conversion to power phaase after the strength phase but that may not be of interest.

Once in a while it is good to take a break 1-2 weeks off or just skip lifting for a bit and do something new, a sport activity perhaps. As you come back it can be good to do a condition workout where you do circuit type stuff.

Alex
n00b
n00b

Post by Alex » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 am

Oh, man. I thought I was developing mass with the 6 rep 3-5 sets. Well, I'll definitely try the 8-12 reps. Should I be doing 2 or three sets? I remember reading somewhere that gains of three sets over two generally isn't worth the extra time.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:41 am

You should find what works for you. I said 3 because you have been doign 3-5 so some people find it hard to get high intensity on the first two sets after being used to do more sets. If you can go all out on 2 then tha tis probably easier on recovery and just about as good for your time.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:00 am

It depends partly on whether they're all working sets. 3 hard working sets of 8-12 reps may be a little much, but 2 warmup sets followed by 1 working set would be fine.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:06 am

For example, 135 lbs for 12 reps/185 lbs for 8 reps/225 lbs for 8 reps would be a lot less demanding than 3 sets of 8 reps with 225 lbs.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:08 am

I also depends on how many exercises you're doing per muscle group, how often your training that area, and other factors.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:10 pm

Eat and eat some more. Nausea will pass. Count your blessings for having a high metabolism. At 18, you may get frustrated, but you be glad from age 30 on.

You are not a vegetarian, are you? I ask because of the soy milk.

Alex
n00b
n00b

Post by Alex » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:12 pm

I am vegetarian, but I do the soy milk to complement the whey protien. I have actually thrown up from eating too much. When that has happened, I'm still hungry so I just go back to what I was eating. But puking generally isn't healthy.

Can someone make a recomendation as to what I should do in terms of warmups? I have been doing a general aerobic warmup - five minutes on the eliptical - before lifting. Is doing a lighter load for a set a better warmup? What percent of the final lift is this typically going to be?

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:05 am

Try eating 5 or 6 smaller meals throughout the day, instead of 3 big meals. Or you can do 3 meals and 2 protien shakes. This should help with the vomitting. Also, there's a limit to how much protien the body can digest at any one time, so you'll get more nutritional benefit from spreading out your intake.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:46 am

Being a vegetarian, you may have a hard time getting enough calories to gain the weight. Go to the diet and nutrition section of this site and do a caloric needs. Add 500 calories and this will give you the energy you need to grow. Good luck.