Smith Press Bashing

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:17 pm

Hi Stephen. Amen on the arhritus issues. It started with me about 14 years ago, and hasn't gotten any better. I've found that lighter, quicker workouts actually make it feel better for a day or so. I guess it's probably the endorphin thing. I've been using generic IBPROFEN, but am considering trying some Aleve (Naproxin I believe). I don't consider it bad enough yet to go prescription, but was wondering what you use?
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:18 pm

TimD

My arthritis (left knee) is mild, so I don't use much medication. When I do, I use enteric asprin. I stay away from ibuprofen - it's too hard on the liver

I should add that I take supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin

Update: Maybe I should think twice about supplements:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=55317

They seem to work, but it just might be a placebo effect

Keith Rowland
Rookie
Rookie

Lifting Past Age 50

Post by Keith Rowland » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:02 pm

Tim D. and Stever: I think we're all on the same page of the training log, here. At 6', I dropped from 220 to 195 after an RC tear. Now, I have learned that it's not hard for we older men to maintain that "buff look" the younger guys are busting their guts for. Total body workouts with higher reps and a junk-free diet are all it takes. The old lifting straps hanging on my last trophy are practically worn through from lifting the equivalent of a house or two in my thirties. That's probably what some of my connective tissue looks like as well. Let's face it, being the "incredible bulk" was a hell of a lot of work and took a time away from the family. I don't want to blow something out now by trying to proving a point near my retirement years. I have lots of gold-plated plastic and scrapbook photos to do that.
I thinik Neil Young had the right idea when he sang, "some get strong and some get strange...sooner or later it all gets real."
Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

Keith Rowland
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Keith Rowland » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:06 pm

"Old man take a look at my life...I'm alot like you were."
Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.