Page 1 of 1

Midsection ?

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:36 pm
by langeranger
Can someone tell me the correct name for the procedure in which you pull your abdomen in as if you're trying to make your belly button touch your spine and hold it for several seconds. I learned this first from a chiropractor, then later saw it mentioned on a weight training message board. It has a name but I can't remember what it is. Help. Don

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:51 am
by Ironman

Stomach vacuum

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:17 pm
by langeranger
Thanks Ironman, for the terrific link. Don

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:28 am
by Stephen Johnson
I like this photo of Frank Zane's vacuum. It was his signature pose

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:52 am
by TimD
Way back when, early 60's, my Dad got a hold of one of those old Charles Atlas courses for me, and the vacuum was a part of the midsection training. I have no idea if it actually helped anything, but it did look kind of cool.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:20 pm
by PharmBoy84
That picture is insane. Where do all his organs go? lol

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:07 am
by Wouter
If you do the stomach vacuum, are you still 'allowed' to inhale and exhale, or would that deminish the results you'd gain? Because I can't hold my breath for a minute.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:32 am
by Ironman
You just hold it in for a few seconds, then let it out and breath for a few seconds and repeat.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 pm
by Otama
If you got it from a chiro it is likely they called it abdominal hollowing and it is used as a motor reeducation exercise after injury it does not however ensure spine stability as all it recruits is the transverse rather than all three levels of abdominal wall. That first link reads like spot reduction apart from the furphys on back health.