Barbell Drag Curls

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Keith Rowland
Rookie
Rookie

Barbell Drag Curls

Post by Keith Rowland » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 pm

On another forum, IronOnline, I saw a video of Vince Gironda giving instruction for the drag curl. I'd like to try doing these curls, but I'm not sure if the video shows the correct form. Has anyone done these and, if so, can you provide some detail on the execution? Where are the elbows supposed to be and how wide of a grip should one take? How close to the body should the bar be during the curl? Where should the bar be at the end of the pull? Thanks for any feedback.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:26 am

Hi Kieth,
It would help if you posted the URL. I was able to track it down to Draper's forum, but couldn't view the video. However, just knowing it came from Gironda, and showed up on Draper, I would think it was true. You and I are the same age, and in bodybuiding, Vince was the go to guy. Lots of strange ideas. I went into his gym back in 76, and he didn't even have a squat rack in there
Tim

Keith Rowland
Rookie
Rookie

Drag Curl Video

Post by Keith Rowland » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:56 pm

http://www.natural-body-building-tips.c ... _curl.html

Tim: Here is the URL if you or anyone else wants to view the video. It looks like a regular barbell curl to me.
Bio: Age 56; former NPC Masters Champion (1990); teacher; married with kids; heroes: John Grimak and Frank Zane; favorite sport: Steelers Football (worked in TV with R. Blier); hobbies: canoeing, cycling, free weight exercise.

TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Hi Keith. Unfortunatley, I was unable to view it (I'm on webtv and don't have all the supporting software), but did hear the descriptions (I got the audio). It does seem to sound like a strict curl to keep the front delts out of play. Thanks for posting. Others might want to view it and give their opinions. I didn't agree with Gironda's views all that much, because we were into different things, but he was a guru when it came to bodybuilding.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:25 am

It looks like a curl with a grip a little wider then shoulder width and your elbows are back a bit so the bar almost touches you and maybe does touch at the bottom. Then you pull it all the way up to your neck.

tyciol
Necromancer
Necromancer

Re: Barbell Drag Curls

Post by tyciol » Fri May 27, 2011 9:28 am

This movement is also illustrated in the directory: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bic ... gCurl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't help but notice some similarities between the first half of this movement and this movement: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... Raise.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The hyperextension rear elbow drift and all that.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 am

Since the thread is nearly 6 years old, and the OP hasn't posted since shortly after this thread, it's a safe bet that he was satisfied with the answer.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm

2011-2006=5, not 6.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri May 27, 2011 5:45 pm

Oh. Is it still 2011?
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Maybe not where you are.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Ty, you are the worst for resurrecting old threads. Please STOP. There is NO reason to bump a 5 year old thread.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat May 28, 2011 1:33 am

stuward wrote:Maybe not where you are.
I'm in Seattle. But Grandfathers are sometimes a bit confused about such things.

tyciol
Necromancer
Necromancer

Post by tyciol » Mon May 30, 2011 10:18 am

Drag curls are interesting, I was looking for information and discussion about them. It would have been silly to create a new thread about them when one already exists to build upon. It goes beyond answering the original questioner, and questioning the issue at large which appeals to multiple minds (mine included).

What do you guys think about the similarity to rear delt raises due to the hyperextension in the shoulder?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue May 31, 2011 3:11 am

Make a new thread.