Low carb and weight training

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

stevenhash
former lurker

Low carb and weight training

Post by stevenhash » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:57 am

Can someone tell me how i can do the low carb diet and weight train as well i'm doing well on the adkins diet because im such a picky eater but i would also like to start working out and gaining some muscle mass as well.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:50 am

My advice, if you're doing well on Atkins (you haven't specified if it's inducion or maint), then fine. Just start out training with a beginners program, see how you feel, if you get an energy dump, then up the carb a bit.
Now, after a while, a lot of lifters have turned to what they call a CKD or cyclical ketogenic diet if they prefer the low car thing. Vince Gironda was one of the first that I know of to use this with his rainees. For 4 days, he would have them on modhigh fat and protein, very low carbs. On the 5th day, he had them on mod protein and carb, low fat, then repeat. Today, along these lines , Dr Mauro DiPasquale (a former IPF world PL champion and a highly respected physician) has come up with the Anabolic diet, which is basically 5 days low carb, 2 days lower the fat, carb up. It has evolved into the Metabolic diet, which doesn't have the stringent guidelines the Anabolic diet does. Do a search on these two diets for more specific info. Both Gironda and DiPaquale have had good results both on themselves and with their trainees.
Tim

stevenhash
former lurker

Post by stevenhash » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:02 pm

Thx im still in the induction im going to stay in it as long as i feel good.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:25 pm

You'll be fine. It shouldn't cause any problems. I had no problems with it. Just set up a beginner program for your self. Full body 3 days a week, mostly compound free weight exercises. So flat and incline bench, rows, pulldowns, squat (or leg press if you're to heavy to squat) and romanian deadlift should comprise the bulk of the program, then you pick some isolation moves sparingly.