hip mobility

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Sliver
Rookie
Rookie

hip mobility

Post by Sliver » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:16 pm

My lower back was sore for almost a week after I did squats and deadlifts. Turns out it's because I have almost no mobility in my hips because my hamstrings are so tight. I can't even touch my toes. What should I be doing to fix this and how long is it going to take?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:59 pm

Hi Silver. I see this alot with kids wanting to start out in OL. This site has excellent stretching recommendations, see the EXRX Muscle and and Exercise portion here on the site. Sretching aside, here is what I recommend; get an empty bar, or PVC, or a wooden dowel, and work on 3 movements for hip, ham flexibility. Overhead squats, front squats, and the RDL stretch. Do them daily, several times daily. Don't worry, it won't cut into any mucle development as there is virtually no loading. Try to continuously get deeper. How long will it take? I have no idea, it varies from individual to individual and how tight you are, and why you are that way. In my case, it's osteoarthritus,and it takes a long time. just don't be discouraged, just work on it.
Tim

Masterintraining
n00b
n00b

Post by Masterintraining » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:40 pm

Get a simple library tape on pilates. Do that daily. That will help with midsection control and hams flexibility.

Sliver
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sliver » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:50 pm

Thanks.

another question. How much tiem per day am I going to need to spend per day to make progres?

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:17 am

20 minutes 3-4 days a week should be enough for you to see significant improvement.