adding weight to dips/pullups

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:01 am

I am wanting to stick with the dips because I have never been a strong bencher...I just plateau too easy, and it is the only exercise I seem to plateau in. I don't know why nor do I care, a combo of dips/flyes seems to be working better for me anyway. So in response to someone asking me if I can do 50 dips, the answer is no. I can probably do around 20 without any weight, and I figured that is more than enough to start adding weight. I still do rows in addition to pullups...no plateauing there.

But actually I do have another question about dips....I know most people do them with two parallel bars or handles. What if the only space you have is a counter corner? Is it good form if your palms are flat on the counter to do them as opposed to gripping a bar?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:45 am

That's fine. That is more like chest dips, which I think are better then p-bar anyway. As the name says they are more chest and not mostly tricep like the p-bar. You can mix the chest dips with flat bench for sternal and then do an equal amount of incline bench.