Chin-up Sticking Point

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Chin-up Sticking Point

Post by Matt Z » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:57 pm

I've noticed that some people are stronger near the top of a chin-up (arms flexed) and weaker at the bottom of the lift (arms extended). Meanwhile others, like me, are stronger in the first 2/3 of the lift, and weaker at the top. Does anyone know why this is?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Not real sure, but with me it depends on the grip. If I use a curl grip shoulder width or narrower, I'm stronger from the bottom, probably because I get good leverage with the biceps being more active in the movement; however, when using a wider, pronated grip, I'm weak off the bottom and stronger at the top, beause of the leverage difference.
Tim

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:17 pm

I'm stronger at the bottom with either grip. I wonder if the lats and/or mid-back are at a mechanical advantage early in the lift.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:49 pm

At the bottom of the chin-up (or pull-up), either shoulder extension or shoulder adduction is the primary movement, while elbow flexiontakes over at the top.

I wouldn't be surprised it people who are strong at the top have relatively strong biceps and weak backs, while people who are strong at the bottom have the reverse situation.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:38 pm

That makes perfect sense. I do a lot of heavy rows, and my back muscles are definitely more developed than my biceps.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:18 pm

Specifically, I do 45-degree Barbell Rows where the elbows are close to the body, and Incline T-bar Rows (AKA Lever Incline Rows) with my elbows out to the sides.