I wan to be a personal trainer...but

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:17 am

Go ahead and post it, there is a section called visitor articles which is just for that sort of thing.

Scribbles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scribbles » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:02 am

Juggers, you're welcome. Call me Herve. I hope you're excited! Good-luck and best wishes.

Scribbles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scribbles » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:04 am

Ironman, Thank you very much. I see that section, I'll try and post that soon.

Best wishes.

misterweak
n00b
n00b

Post by misterweak » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:59 pm

Herve, pehaps you could answer something for me..How hard was it going from a business degree to obtaining the CSCS? I have my MBA and I am currently studying for the CSCS.

Thanks,
Tim

Scribbles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scribbles » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:33 am

Tim, the CSCS is geared more toward athletes so in that sense it is a slightly harder certification than a personal trainer cert- at least for me. Others may tell you otherwise.

I started with an easier certification first (i.e. personal training), just to get my feet wet, so to speak. Then I went for the CSCS.

If it's the first time you come across basic anatomy and physiology, you may need to spend some time studying for it, but I did it- so it can done.

The CSCS has a 67% pass rate, which means one out of every three people have to re-take the exam. Ironically, with no background in exercise science, I passed the first time around.

It's an excellent certification. Very high standards. And the credentials are very respected in the industry. Well worth having.

It is a little bit difficult because there's a lot of new information to absorb. But if you have an MBA, you already have excellent study habits. It shouldn't be out of reach for you simply because you don't have an exercise science background.

If it helps you to know, it took me four months to prepare for it. Take your time. Don't get discouraged. Stick with it. It will come with a little bit of effort.

If you need any more information, let me know. It'd be a privilege to help.

Good-luck with your studies, and best wishes to you.

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:33 pm

Scribbles wrote:Juggers,

I think it's a great idea to want to certify as a personal trainer. I encourage you and others to go ahead without hesitation. In fact, I have a recent article on just this subect, entitled "Why Everyone Should Certify as a Personal Trainer", which may be of interest to you. Of course it's just a silly title to grab attention, but I obviously don't advocate everyone drop their job or career to transition over to the fitness industry.

I won't post it here, since I don't want this to come across as self-promotion (or whatever), but if anyone is interested (and the moderators accept), I'd be happy to post it. I usually write for fitness professionals but I do have a couple of articles intended for fitness enthusiasts.
I would be interested in reading the article. Could you post it or PM it to me?

Thank you.

Scribbles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scribbles » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi George,

The article is posted in the "Visitor Articles" section:

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3168

Best wishes to you.

misterweak
n00b
n00b

Post by misterweak » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:53 pm

Hi Herve,
I have taken the AFAA certification test last week(thinking the same way you did, Herve). I will not know my results for 2 months they tell me. I would not choose AFAA again but that's another story. Right now my focus is on the CSCS and I am knee deep in Essentials of Strength and Conditionong. I will consider the NSCA-PT perhaps after I pass the CSCS. I am really looking forward to the new test set up (Computer Based)it looks like it will be much more convenient. If I come up with a question might I E-mail you? Your offer is deeply appreciated.
Thanks
Tim

Scribbles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scribbles » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:15 pm

Tim, feel free to email me anytime. If I can answer your questions, it will be a pleasure for me.

The "Essentials..." text is so thick, it's almost an art to know what to study and what not to study. If you're like me and you need to 'visualize' some of the physiology presented, here is a free, fairly reliable website that may be of help to you:

http://www.getbodysmart.com/

Good-luck with your studies. I'm sure you'll do great. Best wishes to you.

Juggers
Rookie
Rookie

UPDATE

Post by Juggers » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:21 am

Well I signed up for the course yesterday. Can't wait for it to start! Wish me luck guys...

BTW my certification comes from http://www.witseducation.com/. Seems pretty good.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:31 pm

Good luck Juggeea. Howevever, in my case, I've never even been questioned, and I have no certs. I just go out back with the dogs, start throwing the db's around, then get into the weights. My backyard is up against a main street, and we have an elementary, Middle and High school right down the line. The parents came over and asked ME to train thi kids. I had them sign waivers for the accident things, and then took them on at no charge, but did enforce awillingness thing. Been doing this for the last 5 years now/ The dogs love meeting the new kids.
Tim

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:01 pm

I wish there more opportunities like this for people. Too bad everyone is out to sue everyone now or maybe it would be better. It is a shame there has to be a waiver to do what you are doing. Keep up the good work Tim.

Good Luck to Juggers on the cert.

Juggers
Rookie
Rookie

yes yes

Post by Juggers » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Well it's been a while since I've posted here so....

basically I just need to send up my paperwork to receive my certification!

It was a fun course (I will be certified through W.I.T.S). Which I must say was dam good training compared to what I have read about the other places.

I got hands on practice and training, and the test was written and hands on, which made it even more challenging.

I got a job at Ballys and I'm waiting to get started training clients. Right now I'm just shadowing other trainers. I don't really like how the vets are training people but what do I know lol. Anyway just wanted to again thank those that gave me motivation and good advice here.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:53 pm

"I don't really like how the vets are training people but what do I know lol." - Juggers

Probably a lot more than they do.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:09 am

Yea, I checked out a Bally's once, and the trainer I talked to there was dumber then any of the ones at Gold's even. When I went on vacation I discovered the trainers at that location are worse too. Which is pretty scary, some of the ones at my regular gym are bad enough. Although there a couple good ones.

You can always tell when someone got a routine from a trainer, because they always do the most retarded exercises I have ever seen. Each one worse then the next. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does just that.

I saw this one guy do snatches with the most horrible form ever and light weight. It was so light he could raise the bar up with no movement at all in the lower body. Then he did this thing with light dumbbells laying on a bench, It looked like he was either swimming or trying to catch fish, plus 10 different things on a ball.

Why does everything have to involve instability and wacky gadgets? I just don't get it.

So, yea to make a long story short, just ignore the vets and train people the right way when you get on your own. Your clients will be overjoyed that they actually get results for a change.