Hammer Curl more than Regular Curl

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Hammer Curl more than Regular Curl

Post by Matt Z » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:31 am

I noticed recently that I can handle more weight on hammer curls than I can on regular dumbbell curls. When I mentioned this to a powerlifter at my gym, he said the same is true for him. Is this unusual? In my case at least, it may be the result of a lot of heavy barbell rows performed with an overhand grip.

PS.) Likewise, I've noticed that, using an EZ-curl bar, I can reverse curl about as much as I can barbell curl.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:36 am

No Matt, it,s not unusual. You are at a better leverage, and also bringing in the brachiialis muscles into the equation. Back when I was doing the PL thing in the late 70's, early 80's hammer curls were a staple, the idea being that if you got more mass on the arms, you would be better off with stabilizing a heavy bench. I doubt that that theory holds water, but thats what we did back then
Tim

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:22 pm

I've heard a lot of powerlifters do reverse curls in order to improve wrist stregth/stability for benching. This would make a little more sense since reverse curls work the wrist extensors isometrically.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:24 pm

Of course, if you're doing a lot of cleans or snatches, adding reverse curls may be a little redundant.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:17 pm

I am the same way. Hammer is more then regular curl and on barbell regular and reverse are the same.

I think You just have more muscles being used on hammers.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Hammer curls seem to utilize all three of the elbow flexors (biceps, brachialis and brachioradius) better. Also, hammers don't bother my elbows as much.

Doing more weight with reverse curls is surprising, however - in a regular curl with a supinated grip, the biceps are at their strongest mechanically, but when you use a pronated grip, they are at their weakest. You really need strong brachialis muscles in that position, since they carry the lions share of the load

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:54 am

I do more weight with Hammers, and I am not an elite lifter.