Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

jwcalla
Rookie
Rookie

Adding weight to calf raises

Post by jwcalla » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:22 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what ideas you guys had for adding weight to standing calf raises? I work out at home so I don't have access to some of those nifty machines. I've tried using the barbell in a squat rack, but I've really had problems maintaining my balance to actually get the reps out. (I tend to fall forward, or I can't get my feet up onto the platform, etc.)

Previously I had been loading ~100lbs of plates in an old bookbag and putting that on my back. That allowed me to get onto a platform and my hands were free to balance myself on a nearby column. This has worked great but I'm ready to move the weight up and I can't fit anymore plates in the bookbag; plus she's seen better days and is beginning to let go.

I was thinking maybe a dip belt, but how much weight can you realistically put on those without tearing your hips off?

How do you folks do it?

Thanks,
John

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:19 pm

I do most of my calf training by jumping and doing heavy leg work like squats and deadlifts.

You need a lot of weight on the calves if you are going to do much of anything in terms of training them.

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by VoK » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:03 am

one legged calf raises, using your opposite arm to balance you (right leg, left arm). As you get used to them, drop the supporting arm to work on balance.

I personally do a body-weight calf raise program. I start out doing 25 on each leg to warm up. Then I move up to 30, rest 1 minute, 35, rest 1 minute, 40.
Then I instantly go into 2 legged calf raises, doing 30 of them in 4 different positions (shoulder width, legs spread, pointed inwards, legs close together).

This workout is to promote strength as an athlete.

All I can say is that it's a thorough workout and I see results.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:33 am

You could try the bag, the dip belt and hold a pair of heavy dumbbells.

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:56 am

I've put 50 pounds on a dip belt....then add to the bookbag and hold some with dumbells or something (like the last post). OF course, it might be a little awkward with all that weight in different places...

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:04 am

Try one-leg calf raises. Just place a 45 lb plate or a wood block under the ball of your foot and hold onto something for ballance. Then add a dumbbell for extra resistance. When you're training your right leg, hold the dumbbell in your right hand and ballance with your left.

You can also do seated calf raises one leg at a time with a dumbbell. Just sit on a bench with something under the ball of your foot, and sit a heavy dumbbell on your knee.

jwcalla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jwcalla » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:31 am

Thanks guys for all the good ideas. I think I'm going to try the one-legged raises with dumbbells first. That should work well. Then I might move over to some of the other possibilities when I get a little better with my balance and strength.

Thanks again and happy lifting.

-John

nicolecartersfunfitness

Re: Adding weight to calf raises

Post by nicolecartersfunfitness » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:39 pm

hi please look at the following link and tell me what you think!

nc :0)

http://uk.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-klZeD ... ZjA--?cq=1

jwcalla wrote:Hello,

I was wondering what ideas you guys had for adding weight to standing calf raises? I work out at home so I don't have access to some of those nifty machines. I've tried using the barbell in a squat rack, but I've really had problems maintaining my balance to actually get the reps out. (I tend to fall forward, or I can't get my feet up onto the platform, etc.)

Previously I had been loading ~100lbs of plates in an old bookbag and putting that on my back. That allowed me to get onto a platform and my hands were free to balance myself on a nearby column. This has worked great but I'm ready to move the weight up and I can't fit anymore plates in the bookbag; plus she's seen better days and is beginning to let go.

I was thinking maybe a dip belt, but how much weight can you realistically put on those without tearing your hips off?

How do you folks do it?

Thanks,
John