Squat with Barbell technique

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:09 am

Yes Tim, I know not to grip the bar, but I can't even get my fingertips under the bar in the front squat position. Meanwhile, I can do the cross-arm variation of front squats, but I find that very uncomfortable with any reasonably heavy weight.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:33 am

OK, Matt, now I understand. you probably have huge biceps, and i've seen a few of those types come in. Not a lot you can do, besides working the flexiibiliy isssues, but I understand you are also into MA, and I don't know what more you could do

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:44 am

My biceps are resonably large. Also, the muscle bellies are very long, extending all the way down to the elbow with no gap at all, so the biceps and brachiordialis do press against each other when my arm is bent (My brachiordialis muscles are also pretty well developed).

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:51 am

One of the reasons I prefer high-bar squats is that they're intermediate between front squats and low-bar squats in terms of body position. Likewise, I use a medium-width stance because for me this feels more natural and comfortable than either a narrow or wide stance.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:05 pm

My depth is midway between these two examples. Meanwhile, my stance I slightly wider, and the bar rides a little higher on my shoulders, which allows me to keep my torso a little more vertical.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html