Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

OliverFromPerth
n00b
n00b

Straight Leg Deadlift - Pain

Post by OliverFromPerth » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:14 pm

Hey guys,

I've been doing deadlift for a couple of months now. When I perform them attempting to keep my back straight I have no pain.

When I perform them in the following style:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham ... dlift.html

bending hips first then waist, I end up with a niggling pain the next day in the very last vertebrae in my spine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be I am just getting the technique wrong?

Cheers,

Oliver

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:20 pm

The link you showed is kind of a modified version. It showed the back rounding. I do these with lighter weight on occasion for various reasons, however, in most cases, I would strongly advise doing them as you first desribed, i.e. breaking at the hip, sending the burtt way back, keeping the back flat, chest pufed out and shoulder bladespinched together to help keeping the back flat. This should keep the emphasis where you want it, on the hips and hams without endangering the spine. Just take care in not overloading so much your back does round.
Tim

OliverFromPerth
n00b
n00b

Post by OliverFromPerth » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:23 am

Thanks that makes sense. I don't see anyone else at the Gym doing these with rounded back.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:44 am

The pain your experiencing may be related to a lack of lower back flexibility. However, you can lift a lot more weight safely if you keep your back straight, which will build your hamstrings more. Meanwhile, your erectors still get worked hard isometrically.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:35 pm

PS.) In general, I believe the erectors (lower back muscles) are best worked isometrically, since there main function is to hold the torso rigid.