Deadlifts on a platform

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Deadlifts on a platform

Post by Matt Z » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:08 pm

On Saturday, I tried doing Standard Deadlifts standing on a 4"-5" high platform. Anyway, they felt great. Not only did this variation increase my range of motion, it also seemed to target my glutes and quads much more than usual, since I had to squat down much lower than I normally do on this exercise.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 pm

I did snatch grip deadlifts off a platform several months ago as part of my leg routine. I had to use less weight, but the benefit was when I went back to standard deadlifts, the sticking point at the beginning of the lift was less of a problem.

http://slam.canoe.ca/NFLCFLFuturesFitness02/1008.htmll
Exercise #1 - Snatch Grip Deadlifts

If I had to choose only one strength training exercise to improve a player's 40 yard dash time, I would pick snatch grip deadlifts because they work the entire posterior chain (lower back and hamstrings). Snatch grip deadlifts are a bit different than your traditional deadlift in that they recruit more of the hamstrings due to the angle of the trunk and a wider grip.

Results: improve start, increase maximum speed

Description: Starting position- feet are shoulder width apart. Grip is wider than your traditional grip. Elbows are turned out. Shoulder blades are retracted. Knees over the bar. Chest and shoulders over the bar. Lower back is arched. Initiate lift with hamstrings and lower back. Maintain lower back arch throughout. Keep bar path straight.

Variations: snatch grip deadlifts off a podium, snatch grip deadlifts with chains and traditional deadlifts.
Hard-core lifters do these explosively to build power, but I didn't do that regularly in my workouts.

More here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n13557346
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=586815

Scott Ismari
Novice
Novice

Post by Scott Ismari » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:07 am

one word of caution if your going to do extended reach deads....make sure your lower back does not round out when you lift...I personally dont advise beginner or intermediate lifters to use platform deads....and advanced lifters should use them judiciously
Desire, Dedication, Discipline

Scott Ismari

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 am

I don't think rounding my back will be a problem, since my hamstrings are pretty flexible, and I'm planning on using my usual grip.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:00 am

The funny thing is that deadlifting off a platform felt a lot like squatting, at least at the low end of the lift. The main difference was that I felt rock solid throughout.

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:10 am

Scott Ismari wrote:one word of caution if your going to do extended reach deads....make sure your lower back does not round out when you lift...I personally dont advise beginner or intermediate lifters to use platform deads....and advanced lifters should use them judiciously
Scott,

Great to see you posting again!

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:10 pm

PS.) Last week I did Standard Deadlifts standing on a ~4" platform with a 1 1/2" diameter bar (to improve my grip). The next day I felt soar from the base of my neck all the way down to the my hamstings.