HIIT and eating

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Mog16
Apprentice
Apprentice

HIIT and eating

Post by Mog16 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:05 pm

According to the HIIT program I'm using (http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp), for best results I am supposed to do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then not eat for an hour afterwards. This doesn't really jive with my current understanding of nutrition, wouldn't I be catabolizing my muscles if I try to perform intense activity when the muscle glycogen stores are likely to be very depleted? Secondly, wouldn't I be further encouraging muscle catabolism by not adding fuel to the tank for another hour? Anyone got any ideas as to why this site recommends such action?

Ironman

Post by Ironman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:11 pm

I wouldn't worry abou that. Just do it whenever you want. It is probably best if you do it at a time when you won't need to eat for an hour but it doesn't matter much. First thing in the morning might be good, but eat after. You should always eat breakfast.

I am getting results just doing it whenever.

DubDub

Post by DubDub » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:48 am

Well, I can understand your confusion, but in thinking about it I don't think it's really that misguided. As you said, the glycogen stores will be depleted after waking and before breakfast, so perhaps the point is to directly burn fat during the HIIT? That's kind of a curious goal for HIIT, which is generally used to raise one's metabolism to supplement decreased consumption (dieting). I think it's unnecessary, but not damaging or wrong. That's my take on it.

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:16 am

There is all that science that says it is better in the morning and it all makes sense.

But in the real world it does not seem to make a difference. Do it when it fits your schedule best. You are less likely to skip sessions, which will make a real difference.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: HIIT and eating

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:17 pm

Mog16 wrote: Anyone got any ideas as to why this site recommends such action?
Perhaps to take advantage of the bump in metabolism that takes place after the HIIT session. You continue to burn fat after the exercise is completed, unless you eat something.

Frankly, I wonder if blood sugar levels - which are already low in the morning - could be pushed so low as to cause fainting by doing this.

Mog16
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mog16 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:10 pm

I'm not sure about the fainting thing...probably. One thing I have noticed though is it seems to really impinge circulation to my hands and fingers. For some reason about halfway through (I'm on the 6 min cycle at this point) my hands, and fingers in particular, get very cold and start losing color. Any ideas on that one?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:24 pm

Mog16 wrote:One thing I have noticed though is it seems to really impinge circulation to my hands and fingers. For some reason about halfway through (I'm on the 6 min cycle at this point) my hands, and fingers in particular, get very cold and start losing color. Any ideas on that one?
Try drinking water. Dehydration causes blood viscosity to increase, which makes blood harder to pump to the extremities (like the hands). During exercise, blood tends to pool in the most affected muscles, anyway.

elemental
Novice
Novice

Post by elemental » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:02 am

Everything I've read suggests that Breakfast really and truely is the most important meal of the day and should not be skipped. Idealy about 30minutes after you wake you should eat a breakfast with 40-50g protein for men (to get them aminos back in your system), moderate carbs to fuel the digestive process, and 10-15% good fats. This puts your system back in its groove after the overnight fast. This doesn't necessarily have to be a solid meal, a good shake can meet these requirements and allow you to workout w/i 30 min. of feeding.

I do my cardio/HIIT in the morning and don't use specific post workout nutrition, but I do have a carb only workout drink (30-40g carbs) during. I do my weights in the evening and have a carb loaded meal w/i 1 hour of finishing my workout. I have seen info stating the HIIT can be treated just like a wieght workout due to how it taxes your CNS, but I let the overloaded metabolism work on my system so I"m usually hungry as all get out w/i 1.5-2 hours of finishing the HIIT session.

my .02

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:35 pm

I don't think anyone touting HIIT or cardio in the morning said anything about blowing off breakfast. They just think that it should be delayed until after the trainer takes care of business. Personally, I doubt if I could generate much intensity exercising when I'm only half awake and hungry, but that's just me.

I do yoga sun salutations (6-12 from series A and 6-12 from series B) in the morning if I'm in the mood for exercise.

Mog16
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mog16 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:21 am

Quotes from Shawn Phillips from the link I posted in my first post
Your HIIT program will likely be most effective if performed first thing in the morning on an empty stomach...
and
By the way, to maximize the fat-burning effects of HIIT, don't eat for about one hour after your workout
so...yeah...it makes my stomach burn to do it when I'm 'empty'.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

well guys to tell you the truth, For wrestling last year, I didnt eat anything for a few days just to make some nice weight, like all I drank was water and when i did have something it was maybe a little bit of salmon or tuna at night so I would be able to sleep. I ended up actually burning so much fat and excess weight that people couldn't recognize me anymore. However, this actually only worked for a few days at a time, and when I would do this for more than a week, i actually ended up overtraining. I felt great the first few days like say the first 2 to 3 days I burned pounds of fat because I would eat nothing and still do the grueling workouts wrestling had. But when I went passed that I got drained. Thats when i learned that everything has to be done in moderation for best performance.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:02 am

I doubt if I could generate much intensity exercising when I'm only half awake and hungry, but that's just me.
I get a horrible flushed feeling, like I did when I very first started - I like to think im fairly resilient in regards to consistency and... I dunno... just keeping at stuff, but I HATE that horrible flushed weak/imbalanced feeling from early workouts or empty stomach ones.