Close-Grip Pull-downs

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Close-Grip Pull-downs

Post by quadfrog » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:42 pm

When performing these on the lat machine, how would you modify the movement or your posture to shift the emphasis to biceps. This movement is similar to the close-grip lat chin, but I am thinking about doing it the same day I do barbell and dumbbell curls - to hit the biceps a different way. Any suggestions/comments appreciated. Keith
Squeeze life until it bleeds.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:52 am

I superset with pullovers. With the lats fatigued it should be mostly biceps. You can also superset wide overhand pulldowns with narrow underhand pulldowns. When you do bent over rows you can substitute 1 or more sets for Yates rows, which is underhand with a short range of motion.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Close-Grip Pull-downs

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:17 am

quadfrog wrote:When performing these on the lat machine, how would you modify the movement or your posture to shift the emphasis to biceps.
Use a supinated (palms facing you) grip. That puts the biceps at their strongest position to exert force. A pronated grip (palms facing away) favors the brachialis, while the neutral grip (palms facing each other) favors the brachioradius

quadfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by quadfrog » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks, guys. I do back separately from biceps (11 total sets), so I usually hit biceps somwhere else in the week, with abs or calves, depending on my schedule. Heavy barbell curls is usually all I do: 12-10-8-6, sometimes followed by dumbell curls, 3x8-10.
Squeeze life until it bleeds.